[SOLVED] Are my parts Compatible for a XP system?

jtech2565

Reputable
Oct 10, 2016
I am currently wanting to build a pc for gaming using windows xp for the operating system. I have some pc parts laying around that I would love to use.

The parts i have so far:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qW7HK4

Are these parts compatible with windows xp or do I need to get parts older parts?

RealBeast

Titan
I am currently wanting to build a pc for gaming using windows xp for the operating system. I have some pc parts laying around that I would love to use.

The parts i have so far:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qW7HK4

Are these parts compatible with windows xp or do I need to get parts older parts?
No, the motherboard only has drivers back to Windows 8. Look for older parts, you might try EBay. Make sure to check the motherboard website support list for drivers availability.

RealBeast

Titan
My bad, yeah those motherboard drivers didn't show up for me.

It is a little tricky to install XP on a SATA drive if you don't have a floppy drive to use at the install F6 driver stop. Without a floppy drive, the easiest thing to do is slipstream the SATA driver into an installer disk.

Also, if you want to game the 32 bit version is the most reliable (many games wouldn't run on 64 bit XP as easily).

Good luck!

Reactions: Wilcal

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
I would second much of what RealBeast has stated. You will definately need to D/L all the XP drivers from the MSI site for that MB. The only drivers you actually need to proceed with the install are the SATA drivers. Without these, XP will not recognize that WD drive.

You will need a program like nLite to slipstream those drivers along with the XP install files into a new ISO file. Then use a program such as Yumi or Rufus to make a bootable USB flash drive. (be sure your BIOS is set to boot from other devices including USB). On some systems the bootable flash drive might not be recognized on 1st attempt, so you might need to get back into BIOS again and set (scandisk, or whatever) as 1st boot device.

Also, having used XP x86 for years, I recently installed and removed XP x64. I was surprised at how many problems I encountered with supported software. The 32 bit version is much less of a headache!

MaryXYX

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013
As my question is very similar, can I add it here?

I'm building a system to run Win-XP 32 bit so I can play 16 bit games that won't run on anything more recent, including Win-XP 64 bit.

I chose an AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 because that will run the 16 bit instruction set.
I thought any AM3+ socket board would be suitable. I have an Asrock Pro3 R2.0.
The installer loads all the options it thinks it needs, then "Starting Windows" then blue screens with a 0xC0000005 Memory access violation.
I don't think the lack of MB drivers would be an issue as I didn't get that far.

As I write, MemTest has been running for over an hour with no faults.

A possible second best to dual booting would be to create a virtual machine to run Win XP. Would that be more likely to work?

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
As my question is very similar, can I add it here?

I'm building a system to run Win-XP 32 bit so I can play 16 bit games that won't run on anything more recent, including Win-XP 64 bit.

I chose an AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 because that will run the 16 bit instruction set.
I thought any AM3+ socket board would be suitable. I have an Asrock Pro3 R2.0.
The installer loads all the options it thinks it needs, then "Starting Windows" then blue screens with a 0xC0000005 Memory access violation.
I don't think the lack of MB drivers would be an issue as I didn't get that far.

As I write, MemTest has been running for over an hour with no faults.

A possible second best to dual booting would be to create a virtual machine to run Win XP. Would that be more likely to work?
I dont know how far along in the process you are, but i have a dual boot W10 and XP LGA775 system with XP there to play old W98 era(racing/driving) games. Do you plan on using legacy hardware? Legacy hardware uses a gameport on a sound card...I am pretty certain that running VM XP is not going to be able to run any legacy hardware. I am trying to update to a newer MB LGA 1155 and hopefully get it all working together like it does/did om my current sys. I have a sound card with drivers for w10 and XP. Gameport is dead in w10, but comes live in XP...