[SOLVED] Are my pc components compatible with Windows 10?

elhadi91

Honorable
Jul 21, 2014
Hello,
I intend to upgrade my current Operating system from Windows 7-64bits to Windows 10, and i was wondering if my current PC will work fine with Windows 10 or not, considering the drivers and everything.
These are my specs:
  • Case: Antec GX500
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 3.2ghz Socket 1155
  • CPU Fan: NOCTUA NH U14S
  • Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33
  • Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda 1To 7200rpm + 2 SSD Samsung Evo 860 1To (x2) + Samsung 850 Evo 500go
  • RAM: 2 Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb 1600mhz (x2)
  • Power Supply: Tacens Radix VII AG 600w 80+ Silver
  • Graphic Card : MSI Twinfrozr Gaming 4G GTX 970
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your guidance.

Last edited:
Solution
You can only dual boot Windows 10 with 7 if you install and use a custom boot loader because the boot loader for Windows 10 will overwrite and override the windows 7 one.
I don't suggest running the two side by side anyways as W7 is outdated at this point and no longer supported by Microsoft and has lack luster support for plug and play devices with drivers and such whereas W10 will literally just install drivers automatically for and work with almost any device out there and has great backwards compatiblity with software.

But otherwise if you want to run both OS you'll need a custom boot loader like GRUB or BURG

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Windows 10 will work out of the box with anything as far back as Windows XP days (2003) with no big issues 99% of the time.

You're good.

Only thing you should download and install are chipset drivers, and any specialty software that goes with any specialty hardware for things like audio and LAN.
But if your audio and network hardware are run of the mill realtek and Intel or whatever then just leave those alone and use whatever drivers W10 will automatically install.

Reactions: elhadi91

elhadi91

Honorable
Jul 21, 2014
Windows 10 will work out of the box with anything as far back as Windows XP days (2003) with no big issues 99% of the time.

You're good.

Only thing you should download and install are chipset drivers, and any specialty software that goes with any specialty hardware for things like audio and LAN.
But if your audio and network hardware are run of the mill realtek and Intel or whatever then just leave those alone and use whatever drivers W10 will automatically install.

Thank you for your response mate.

I was thinking of installing Windows 1O as a secondary operating system, if i do that, will i be able to access my other hard drives and use them from within Win 10 and Win 7 ?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You can only dual boot Windows 10 with 7 if you install and use a custom boot loader because the boot loader for Windows 10 will overwrite and override the windows 7 one.
I don't suggest running the two side by side anyways as W7 is outdated at this point and no longer supported by Microsoft and has lack luster support for plug and play devices with drivers and such whereas W10 will literally just install drivers automatically for and work with almost any device out there and has great backwards compatiblity with software.

But otherwise if you want to run both OS you'll need a custom boot loader like GRUB or BURG

Reactions: elhadi91
Solution