Question are my Ryzen 5 2600 temps normal?

Jul 13, 2019
Hello, I've recently put my PC together and I'm worried that my temps are high.

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600
GPU : Sapphire RX 570 8GB
Motherboard : MSI Tomahawk B450
Memory : 8GB 3000Mhz
Fans : 1x exhauste fan 1x intake fan
Cooler : AMD Stock Cooler

Temps CPU:
Idle : 40-55 C
Fortnite 1080p High: 75-90 C
Stranded Deep 1080 Ultra : 80 C

Thermal Paste : Artic Silver 5

*Please note I kept the stock thermal paste installed on the stock cooler and put a grain of Artic Silver 5 on the CPU
(Is it possible I've put a lot?)

Are my temps normal/high/dangerously high?
If I keep playing on these temps are they going to age my components quicker in the long-term?
What are the factors?

Aug 8, 2019
It is not advisable to mix thermal compounds due to the different compounds used in different brands or types and these can cause higher temperatures. Try removing the thermal compound with isopropyl alcohol and tissue before putting another thermal paste.

Jul 13, 2019
I did clean up the paste and replace it and I'm averaging now 74 C (Max:94)
While it is definitely better, Is it still dangerous or very high?
Is there any way to cool it more without buying an aftermarket cooler atm?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019
Alright, guys so I kinda found out the solution and I felt like sharing it for people who have a similar problem.
Here is a list of what I did :
  • Clean out the messed up mixed thermal paste and replaced it.
  • Tried to boost fan speed via MSI Afterburner but it only dropped by 1 degree
  • >> I flipped the "exhaust" fan << This is what fixed my problem, early on, I removed it to install the IO Shield, I guess I reinstalled it backwards or something, now there is a very good airflow inside the case.
Here are the temps :

Before :
- Idle 45/55/60
-Fortnite 1080p High settings: 75/85/94

After :
-Idle 40/40/45
-Fortnite 1080p High Settings: 50/65/75

After(With 100% Fans) :
-Idle 35/40/43
-Fortnite 1080p High Settings: 50/63/70

The temps are A LOT stable than before, never went above 80C (which was the average before)

Reactions: DMAN999

puria101

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
hello thank you for sharing this information i am also building a pc and want to know some information,
  • >> I flipped the "exhaust" fan << This is what fixed my problem, early on, I removed it to install the IO Shield, I guess I reinstalled it backwards or something, now there is a very good airflow inside the case.
so with you flipping the exhaust fan at the back the other are you saying you put the exhaust fan to let air out of the pc at the back sorry i want to know

Aug 8, 2019
Yes
hello thank you for sharing this information i am also building a pc and want to know some information,
so with you flipping the exhaust fan at the back the other are you saying you put the exhaust fan to let air out of the pc at the back sorry i want to know
Yes, you would want to have an positive air pressure inside your cooler. If you can install 5 fans overall you would want 3 intake fans and 2 exhaust and also in a great position.

Jul 11, 2019
Hello, I've recently put my PC together and I'm worried that my temps are high.

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600
GPU : Sapphire RX 570 8GB
Motherboard : MSI Tomahawk B450
Memory : 8GB 3000Mhz
Fans : 1x exhauste fan 1x intake fan
Cooler : AMD Stock Cooler

Temps CPU:
Idle : 40-55 C
Fortnite 1080p High: 75-90 C
Stranded Deep 1080 Ultra : 80 C

Thermal Paste : Artic Silver 5

*Please note I kept the stock thermal paste installed on the stock cooler and put a grain of Artic Silver 5 on the CPU
(Is it possible I've put a lot?)

Are my temps normal/high/dangerously high?
If I keep playing on these temps are they going to age my components quicker in the long-term?
What are the factors?
Idle seems fine, but fortnite on high 90? I get max like 70 on highest settings