[SOLVED] Are my Ryzen 5950 temps too high?

Dec 28, 2020
Hi all,

I just built this new PC last week:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC 240 RGB White 80.95 CFM Liquid
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING X TRIO
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+Gold

The system runs great and is exactly the upgrade I was looking for, however the CPU temperature is consistently too high. I'm using both CPUID HWMonitor and HWiNFO64 to check temps. The numbers I'm listing below are from the CPU Die reading in HWiNFO64.

With basic apps open (Spotify, Discord, Chrome, Steam all at once): sometimes it'll stay around ~45C other times it will jump to ~60C for 15 minutes for no clear reason.
While downloading Steam game: ~58C
Gaming (CS:GO): Starts at ~72C, after 1 hour session rises to ~82C
Gaming (Cyberpunk 2077): Immediately at ~82C, stays there for whole session

It's not getting hot enough to start thermal throttling, but I am still a bit concerned with the temps it's reaching. Should I be worried, and are there any suggestions for how I might lower these temps. I'd love to even just once see a temp in the 30's :)

Solutions I've already tried:
  • Reapplied thermal paste
  • Changed fan configuration in case. Photo shows current setup (Bottom: 2 intake, Backside: 2 intake, Top: 3 exhaust [2 from AIO]). Previously tried (Bottom: 2 intake, Backside: 3 exhaust [2 from AIO], Top: 2 intake)
  • 133197803_862219964513096_4250560673153612741_n.jpg

Solution
You know the gpu's heat is passing through that hybrid cooler, right?
The cpu isn't the only thing it has to cope with...

What's with the fan setup? 2-3 of the fans are useless in the current orientation.
-The top-most side fan
-The fan right next to the hybrid cooler
-The fan that looks 50/50 beneath the gpu

Just a suggestion:
-Change the hybrid cooler to side intake
-Move the 2 side fans to top exhaust so the other fan isn't 'all alone'.
-Move the 50/50 fan next to the other bottom fan, though I think it's better if you just removed them so they're not in the way of the gpu's fans.

@Djoza
I learned of this last week, but the Ryzen 5000 cpus apparently have a thermally higher operating boost algorithm compared to the older...
Dec 28, 2020
That is really high for a high end cpu like that.
72C on CSGO!?!?! wow
Are the fans on the AIO always running full speed,not running at all,1 is running 1 is not,or something like that?

The AIO fans are both running! Set to ramp up to full speed on heavy load.
But I'm also new to using AIO's so maybe I installed it it wrong? Coming from the CPU block I plugged it (the wire tied down in the photo) into PUMP_FAN1 and the AIO fans are going to CPU_FAN1

The AIO fans are both running! Set to ramp up to full speed on heavy load.
But I'm also new to using AIO's so maybe I installed it it wrong? Coming from the CPU block I plugged it (the wire tied down in the photo) into PUMP_FAN1 and the AIO fans are going to CPU_FAN1
Do you have any spare air coolers lying around?
This might be expensive to u,but judging by your system,you dont seem to have a financial problem.
Order: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-chromax-Black-Dual-Tower-Cooler/dp/B07Y87YHRH This is pretty much the best air cooler out there,and it will have 0 problems cooling your 5950X.Just make sure to apply thermal paste.

Dec 28, 2020
Do you have any spare air coolers lying around?
This might be expensive to u,but judging by your system,you dont seem to have a financial problem.
Order: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-chromax-Black-Dual-Tower-Cooler/dp/B07Y87YHRH This is pretty much the best air cooler out there,and it will have 0 problems cooling your 5950X.Just make sure to apply thermal paste.

Unfortunately I don't.
Does anyone know if there any other way to determine that the AIO is not faulty? If it is faulty I'd look into buying a new cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

What's with the fan setup? 2-3 of the fans are useless in the current orientation.
-The top-most side fan

Just a suggestion:
-Move the 50/50 fan next to the other bottom fan, though I think it's better if you just removed them so they're not in the way of the gpu's fans.

@Djoza
I learned of this last week, but the Ryzen 5000 cpus apparently have a thermally higher operating boost algorithm compared to the older Ryzen 3000 cpus.

Solution
Dec 28, 2020

-The top-most side fan

Just a suggestion:

@Djoza
I learned of this last week, but the Ryzen 5000 cpus apparently have a thermally higher operating boost algorithm compared to the older Ryzen 3000 cpus.

The fan that looks 50/50 beneath the GPU is only there because it wouldn't fit in the spot directly next to the other one under the GPU.
I didn't realize that having the hybrid cooler fans as intake was an option.

I'll see what I can do about the fan setup, thanks!

-The top-most side fan

Just a suggestion:

@Djoza
So are his temps normal?
I mean he has a top notch chip,but its cooled by a good AIO,and 72C in a game like CSGO isnt really normal for that kind of a cpu.Could the AIO not be enough?
Maybe a 360mm aio would be a better option since im not really comfortable with any cpu reaching 82 in game.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Djoza
I'd say they are.
It's CS:GO, so if anything, it's just using 4 threads - maybe 6 with the Source engine update.
But there's the gpu to contend with, and it's not exactly light on power. That heat is dumped in the chassis, and it's going to pass through that radiator.
Then there's the Cyberpunk sample. I'm not surprised the cpu thermals are higher on a more demanding title.

The O11 Dynamic has high air resistance at the bottom, so unless those bottom fans are high static pressure, the gpu's fans would be more effective working on their own.

Jan 3, 2021
Same here. I just upgraded from a 3600 to a 5950x recently, though I figured since it's a higher core count/higher powered chip compared to my old R5 warmer temps are to be expected.

Anyway, here are my specs:
  • Lian Li TU150 Mini ITX case
  • Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste
  • (2) Noctua Chromax NF-A12x15 fans -- intake and exhaust
  • Noctua Chromax NH-D15 CPU cooler w/ the stock dual 140mm cooling fans
  • Gigabyte AORUS X570 I Mini ITX motherboard
  • 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (2x16GB 2400mhz CL14 oc'd to 3200mhz CL16)
  • EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra
I've learned to 'temper' the heat by tweaking around with the AMD power profiles in Windows. When I'm not doing any video editing or games, I set it to Power Saver and the temps stay around 38C to 43C. I monitor temps thru Ryzen Master, as I've read somewhere that other monitoring software's temp readouts may be higher by a couple of degrees.

Default settings with CPU vcore set to normal in BIOS and power profile to balanced/AMD balanced, with regular browsing/usage I noticed temps spike between the mid 40s to the mid 60s depending on what you're doing. Voltage seems to top out at around the 1.4v neighborhood, and it does go to as low as 0.927v. Stress testing with AIDA64 at stock for 15 minutes, I get 72C consistent with all cores on boost at around 4.1GHz with voltages at around 1.19v.

I've also managed to set up two profiles within Ryzen Master by playing around with voltages thru trial & error. 4.2GHz all core overclock stable at 1.10v, I get 68C to 70C with AIDA64 stress testing. Playing games for two hours straight with the 4.2GHz all core boost, I never see my temps exceed 66C. On my 4.5GHz all core boost profile (1.275v), that's when it goes as high as the low 80s during stress testing/CPU-intensive tasks. When gaming, temps hover in the mid-70s.

Jan 3, 2021
I know. I use my 4.2GHz profile in most cases anyway, so I never cross the 70C and above threshold.

I am waiting on a tub of TG Kryonaut Extreme that I ordered to see if things are any different.

i6pwr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Honestly @Guuph I think you may have too many fans, not that it's a bad thing.

With regards to airflow, air will find a way into the case, it's just harder to push it, I'm curious what your temps are inside the case.
Personally, I would try removing the two bottom fans, not just removing the power, keep the two side exhaust fans, and the top exhaust fan, and let the GPU exhaust it's heat with it's own fans. You may be disrupting the airflow to the GPU fans, as well as sending heat to the CPU cooler instead of cooler outside air.

Let the air get sucked in, and find it's way to the fans, you don't need to force the air in.

So I would try this if that was my setup: Lose the two bottom fans, remove them. If you have a provision for a rear exhaust fan inline with the CPU use one there but doesn't look that way. Use the two side fans, single top fan, and CPU cooler fans to extract the air. This way a good amount of cool air will be sucked in from the bottom and find it's own way to the fans.