[SOLVED] Are my sleeved extensions not compatible with my psu?

OlDusty

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
Okay so I'm putting together a build and for some reason I am not getting any signal on the monitor when I power up the PC.

I noticed that when I unplug the extensions and plug the actual psu wiring into the GPU I get a signal and it seems to be working fine.

I would like to note that I am also using a sleeved extension on the 24 pin connector and have no issues there.

Psu is an EVGA 700w bq
GPU is an rx 580 sapphire 8gb that requires a 6+8 pin connector.

Any help on this would be appreciated, thank you.

Solution
Your neighbor prolly has one, anybody who works on cars or car stereo has one, any electrician etc.

If there's any doubt, this is half of your kit, just the pcie/eps, made by a reputable company.
https://www.amazon.com/CableMod-Basic-Cable-Extension-Kit/dp/B01N6F4WTA?ref_=ast_sto_dp
So figure double that and you'll be close if you wanted to add in some Sata and the 20+4 mains.

And jfyi, over the years I've come to 2 undisputable conclusions regarding jonnyguru. To argue with the man about anything psu related is an exercise in futility, there's less than a handful of ppl with his level of experience and expertise on the subject. To ignore his advise or discount it for your own reasons, is the closest thing to unadulterated...

OlDusty

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
Summarizing my understanding:

Does not work: PSU ====> Sleeved extension(s) ====> GPU

Works: PSU ====> GPU

Defective or incompatible extension perhaps? Source?

Are you mixing and matching in cables from other PSUs or computers?

My source is f-stop labs on Amazon.

Not mix matching any cables, psu is not modular at all and I'm using only the extensions I purchased.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A gpu extension should be universal, it's a gpu male to gpu female extension. So fitment shouldn't be any sort of issue. Pinout might be a different story.

Grab a multimeter that has a Continuity setting, and laying the extension out, start testing each pin to the exact opposing pin. You should get a beep confirmation for each attempt. If you do not, leave one side touching one electrode and try all the other pins on the other side until it beeps.

If you still get no beep, I'd tend to believe the assembly on that particular pin was a fail.

Okay so I'm putting together a build and for some reason I am not getting any signal on the monitor when I power up the PC.

I noticed that when I unplug the extensions and plug the actual psu wiring into the GPU I get a signal and it seems to be working fine.

I would like to note that I am also using a sleeved extension on the 24 pin connector and have no issues there.

Psu is an EVGA 700w bq
GPU is an rx 580 sapphire 8gb that requires a 6+8 pin connector.

Any help on this would be appreciated, thank you.

Why are you using extension cables?

OlDusty

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
A gpu extension should be universal, it's a gpu male to gpu female extension. So fitment shouldn't be any sort of issue. Pinout might be a different story.

Grab a multimeter that has a Continuity setting, and laying the extension out, start testing each pin to the exact opposing pin. You should get a beep confirmation for each attempt. If you do not, leave one side touching one electrode and try all the other pins on the other side until it beeps.

If you still get no beep, I'd tend to believe the assembly on that particular pin was a fail.
This would be sound advice if I had a multimeter lol

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your neighbor prolly has one, anybody who works on cars or car stereo has one, any electrician etc.

If there's any doubt, this is half of your kit, just the pcie/eps, made by a reputable company.
https://www.amazon.com/CableMod-Basic-Cable-Extension-Kit/dp/B01N6F4WTA?ref_=ast_sto_dp
So figure double that and you'll be close if you wanted to add in some Sata and the 20+4 mains.

And jfyi, over the years I've come to 2 undisputable conclusions regarding jonnyguru. To argue with the man about anything psu related is an exercise in futility, there's less than a handful of ppl with his level of experience and expertise on the subject. To ignore his advise or discount it for your own reasons, is the closest thing to unadulterated stupidity a person will ever experience. Trust me, I've done both lol. I felt like the bug that crawled under the rock, sitting under a log when he got done 😉.

If he says it's junk, it truly is.

Last edited:
Solution