[SOLVED] Are my storage devices fried?

Dec 5, 2019
Hello,
I just today purchased the 850w EVGA supernova pq. I installed everything correctly and added some asiahorse cable extensions to make it look clean. I go to turn my pc on and my rgb fans, connected by the Corsair hub, are running but not lighting up. My H115i wouldn’t turn on but eventually got it running. Lastly, my ssd and hdd or not found in my bios. I boot into bios every time and cannot boot into windows. The H115i runs on all Sata cables I use. When I plug a specific sata cable from my old PSU into my Corsair hub, the rgb turns on but only on red. What the hell is going on? Is this power supply not giving me enough juice? Or did it fry my components?

Solution
Most of the time modular PSU cable's aren't interchangeable, extensions are fine. Pinouts can be different, positive/negative terminals in different spots. If didn't check that and reused cables from other PSUs, there's a good chance components were fried.

There's no standard and PSU manufacturer's should have a warning label on them but sadly don't. Be amazed how many have made this mistake.

I suggest if you did mix cables, sort that out and start diagnosing parts/swap parts if problems persist.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Most of the time modular PSU cable's aren't interchangeable, extensions are fine. Pinouts can be different, positive/negative terminals in different spots. If didn't check that and reused cables from other PSUs, there's a good chance components were fried.

There's no standard and PSU manufacturer's should have a warning label on them but sadly don't. Be amazed how many have made this mistake.

I suggest if you did mix cables, sort that out and start diagnosing parts/swap parts if problems persist.

Solution