i7 920 D0
Asus 6PT V2 Deluxe
Dark Knight
Antec 1200
Corsair 1000 waatt
OCZ XMP 6GB Ram
Vcore=1.2
Bclk=180

The screen shot is with prime95 running with blended for a few minutes.

3550124233_46b24a944a_o.jpg

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
It is a bit high for just blend testing. Once you use smallFTT, temps will most likely hit 80C or more.

The Dark Knight is a mid range cooler, ideal for high clocked dual cores, however when it comes to quad, T.R.U.E. or Megahelam would be better.

If you don't plan on pushing your CPU more, than you should be fine with those temps.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
hasteveha,

Nice rig. As flyin15sec has suggested, Blend is a fluctuating workload, so run Prime95 Small FFT's, since it's a steady-state 100% workload, and is the standard for thermal benchmarking. Also, the flame icons in SpeedFan are just alarm limits which simply need to be adjusted under the "Configure" button and "Temperatures" tab. Click on each individual item and increase the "Warning" temperature. Regardless, your temps are already a few degrees above specifications, as I will explain.

Intel's Thermal Specification for the Core i7's is 68c, which is shown in their Processor Spec Finder - http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBCH This means CPU temperature, NOT Core temperature, which is a very common misconception among many users.

There is a 5c gradient between CPU temperature and Core temperatures, which is shown in the following Intel document - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0709/0709.1861.pdf This means that the corresponding Core temperature is 73c, as follows:

Maximum CPU temperature (Tcase Max) 68c + 5c = 73c Core temperatures.

Core i7 specs:

CPU (Tcase Max) 68c
Core (Tjunction) 73c
Vcore Max 1.375

Intel has stated that the Core temperature sensors (Digital Thermal Sensors) are designed for overtemp protection only, such as Throttle and Shutdown near 100c (Tjunction Max), which would correspond to a CPU temperature of 95c, and is far too hot for sane operation. Intel has further stated that the Core temperature sensors become less accurate as temperatures decrease, and should be regarded as unreliable at idle temperatures.

Unlike the Core temperature sensors, the CPU temperature sensor (Analog Thermal Diode) was designed to be linear from low idle temperatures thru high load temperatures. This is why motherboard manufacturers, as per agreement with Intel, support CPU temperature, but not Core temperatures in their monitoring utilities (such as Asus Probe) which is included on the Installation CD.

For your i7, CPU temperatures above 68c and Core temperatures above 73c should be regarded as an "overtemp" condition.

If you'd like to learn more about how processor temperatures work, or how to calibrate your temperatures, then check out the Sticky at the top of this Forum: Core i7 and Core 2 Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core-core-temperature-guide

Comp :sol:

hasteveha

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
lol, actually its 79 now. My dad said I should add 1 or 2 degrees to it, it's a cheap temp guage.
Thanks for your help. Hey so my settings are ok so far?Should I try and lower the vcore? it's at 1.2
I left the memory on the lowest settings, should I start tweaking that now

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Is your case in a position where it can breathe, like not inside a desk enclosure?

Are your case fans also at 100% RPM?

In Real Temp "Settings", what are the values for "Set Tj Max"?

Which OS are you running?

hasteveha

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I'm running win7 rc1.the case is in an open area with good airflow. I'm at the mall right now I'll check tjmax when I get home. How do I find out if fan is 100%

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Your Antec 1200 fans each have a switch for low/medium/high. Also, I've duplicated your settings on my rig, which is calibrated, so I know my temperatures are accurate.

Ambient 26c
Vcore load 1.208
3.6 Ghz
BCLK 180

Real Temp:
Cores 67c

SpeedFan:
CPU 62c
Cores 67c

Since my Xiggy 964 is slightly less efficient than your 1283, I would expect your temperatures to be at least equal with mine, if not a few degrees lower.

hasteveha

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
yes my front 3 intake fans are set at low. The top fan blows air out at medium. Back 2 blow air out medium. Inside I have a fan that blows air to the heatsink from hd bay. I also have a 4890 video card

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Let me know what Real Temp "Set Tj Max" values are.

Also, since the Dark Knight includes the Retention Bracket, mounting issues are typically non-existent, however, are you certain that you removed the clear protective shipping adhesive from the bottom of the Heat Pipes?

With respect to your case, cooler and Vcore, your SpeedFan temperatures make sense as compared to mine, but your Real Temp values do not. Real Temp and SpeedFan should agree. I'm running with case covers removed, and all fans at 100% RPM. I've duplicated your settings and have tested with Prime95 25.9 Small FFT's, Real Temp 3.0 and SpeedFan 4.38. Nonetheless, I'm using Vista 32 SP1, instead of Windows 7 RC1.

Try repeating your Prime run with the cover removed and your fans cranked up, but at the end of 10 minutes, open Real Temp to record the values, then close it and open SpeedFan to record the values, so that Real Temp and SpeedFan are not open at the same time. It's possible that the two utilities are interacting with one another in Windows 7 when they're open simultaneously. It's a variable we must eliminate.

hasteveha

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I have dual boot setup, I'll try vista 64 bit. When I installed the dark knight I removed this plastic that's on the part that contacts with the CPU, it was sticky, I used the two bottle remover from arctic silver company to clean it before I put on arctic silver. When I mounted heat sink I made sure all mounts are screwed down firm and tight. I will run the tests without the case when I get home. I set vcore 1.2, something else 1.8 and 1.2 for the one after that. I'll take a screen shot

hasteveha

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
3552104297_d3ab2fa8b4_o.jpg

running Vista 64, with the case open. The set tjmax settings are on there.

Bios settings
3552152503_dbd3326767_b.jpg

I'm now going to do the 10 minute test

Thanks

hasteveha

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I reset everything in bios to default, running Vista 64.Case is open,All the fans on the antec 1200 are on High
Ambient Temp =77
3553239766_98efae4b9a_o.jpg

3553239760_a117b3ce9d_o.jpg

3553239778_9b8a6a0f37_o.jpg