Are NVIDIA drivers supposed to tell you to set up G-Sync each time you install new drivers?

iSoLateD1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Every time I install new drivers it tells me to configure G-Sync settings in the nvidia control panel, but G-Sync is already turned on. Is this normal driver behavior? I also ask because G-Sync isn't really working for me in most games. I noticed FPS drops, which tells me it may not be working as it's supposed to.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
For me it just says Gsync detected. Have never had to change settings besides Vsync and power plans. Using 391.35 driver atm win7. Suppose the later drivers reworded it wrong.

As said, gsync doesn't increase fps. Gsync just makes fps fluctuations more fluent looking.

Fps drops Depend on your setup and Windows & Nvidia settings. Power plans, vsync, Windows game bar settings & full screen optimisations (only Win10).

Whats your system specs? Heavy multi threaded games like Bf1, Fc5, Devision, Ghost Recon, Ark and more can overwhelm even modern 4c CPUs where they're commonly now reaching high 90's usage.

Ram is another factor. 16GB ram is recommended in these types of games with beefy GPUs with lots of Vram. 8GB ram brings on heavy pagefile and hdd activity. SSDs do help bottlenecks in this regard but more memory is much better.

GeForce Experience can also cause problems if allowed to 'optimise' as usually it chooses settings it thinks is best but not always. Like too much or inappropriate antialiasing method and use of Game Works in effects and shadows that a particular game might have bugs with.

Then there's Nvidia drivers and their own problems.

PCs can cause a lot of headaches especially now Win10 has made things more difficult by updating/changing settings as it sees fit. ie; introducing Game Bar / Fullscreen Optimisations and problems it caused (Csgo + Overwatch) People found out how to disable these settings only for them to turn back on next update lol :)

Pc can be a shambles but its worth it.

iSoLateD1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
No, it shows a notification in the lower right area that says to configure G-Sync, every time I install a new driver. Does it do that for every one else? I know G-Sync doesn't increase FPS, but when the FPS drops it stutters and its disruptive to gameplay. WHen it worked I didn't notice framerate drops, but now I almost always do.

Ryzen 1600 (6 cores, 12 threads)
GTX 1070
16 GB DDR4 2400
Dell S2417DG 2560 x 1440 G-Sync LCD

boju

Titan
Ambassador

If it was working once before and now not it'll be software / temps/ throttles or bottlenecks which the latter is no issue so investigate the former three, software / temps and throttles.

If temps are fine and power plans are set for performance nothing should throttle.

Else it's software. Try different gpu drivers (perhaps 391.35). Disable game bar and full screen optimisations. Don't use Geforce Experience. @ 1440p don't use any antiliasing at all, i don't, games look great at this resolution so don't need it like you would in 1080p and a nice boost in fps too.

Search if a certain game you're experiencing problems with has an solution, often comes in handy if theres this one particular game setting causing grief that some champ has found out.

Also keep in mind problems are usually rectified eventually in updates across the board from Win /Gpu drivers through to game patches but sometimes not always and things are worse off. In saying that, if your hardware is in good working order it's hard to say whats actually causing your stutters but the main culprits i've covered, be up to you to investigate.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Just posting ideas as they come to me. Gsync configure message could be normal or it's not properly engaged on the monitor end. If not, gsync could be causing your stutters, possible just reconnecting the monitor cable or turning gsync off/on in Nvidia CP or monitor itself might help to re-engage gsync.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No I've never had system tray notification about gsync.

Which driver version are you using?

I'll try it but keep in mind im on Win7, drivers may vary.

In the meantime while i try, you try 391.35 driver and use ddu before hand. Do the same again for the latest driver using ddu first if 391.35 doesn't improve.