Question Are NVMe SSD enclosures less reliable than standalone SSD that came with an enclosure?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I have two NVMe M.2 enclosures. While the Sabrent one mounts and unmounts fine, its throughout is poor. Still waiting for Sabrent's tech support to find out the cause. As for the Adwits enclosure, sometimes it mounts and unmounts automatically by itself. I cannot unmount it from Windows almost all the time. I have to shut down the computer to disconnect it. From Amazon reviews, some users reported that their units started failing in about a year of use. Never have such problem with Samsung T5 and T7. In general, is SSD+3rd party enclosure less reliable than SSD came with an enclosure?

Last edited:

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
what model is the exact sabrent?
never heard of adwits

Sabrent USB 3.2 Tool-Free Enclosure for NVMe PCIe M Key M.2 SSD [Silver] (EC-TFNE)

A Adwits USB 3.1 UASP to PCIe NVMe M.2 2230/2242/2260/2280 High-Performance SSD Adapater, External Enclosure Case for WD Black, Samsung 960 970 EVO PRO Solid State Drive & More, Dark Grey

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Here is a very long thread on the subject:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/stable-nvme-usb-adapter.2572973/

It used to be that Realtek bridges were the most reliable, but several generations have passed since those first chips were released.

Samsung's T7 uses an Asmedia bridge.

Is Asmedia bridge good?

Given that one of my NVMe enclosure is unreliable and the other has strange performance issue that the manufacturer is still investigating, I wonder if I should stay away from NVMe enclosure, buy another NVMe enclosure, or just spend the money on NAS.