[SOLVED] Are old Dell laptop internal components interchangeable?

Aug 30, 2020
E6400 specs

I have an old Dell Latitude E6400, that was my granddad's, nothing special. It has a decent duocore but everything else is really weak, old, and slow. I am wondering if it's possible to, as a fun side project, upgrade it with completely new internal parts? I have relatively little knowledge of laptop hardware and I am curious as to whether it is possible to buy a newer generation motherboard and simply replace the old one along with new parts? Ideally I would keep the same chassis but this might be impossible. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely, Csaggy

Solution
Right, I was hoping there was a chance because my cpu is replaceable but I would still be severely bottle necked by the ancient motherboard. So it doesn't seem feasible to find a new motherboard which is the same size and fully kit it out to fit into the old chassis?

No, laptops are not like this. What you're describing is the role of a traditional desktop; laptop parts are quite proprietary. While there are clever people who do some interesting feats of engineering, 99% of users aren't in that boat.
Ah okay, so with laptops its not possible to overhaul entirely with new parts? The best solution to have a better laptop is to buy a new one?
Very few laptops is it feasible to upgrade cpu or gpu and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it possible to upgrade the motherboard and associated cooling, motherboards are not a standard layout like desktops. As you say if you want a decent laptop upgrade you buy a new one.

Aug 30, 2020
Very few laptops is it feasible to upgrade cpu or gpu and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it possible to upgrade the motherboard and associated cooling, motherboards are not a standard layout like desktops. As you say if you want a decent laptop upgrade you buy a new one.
Right, I was hoping there was a chance because my cpu is replaceable but I would still be severely bottle necked by the ancient motherboard. So it doesn't seem feasible to find a new motherboard which is the same size and fully kit it out to fit into the old chassis?

DSzymborski

Titan

No, laptops are not like this. What you're describing is the role of a traditional desktop; laptop parts are quite proprietary. While there are clever people who do some interesting feats of engineering, 99% of users aren't in that boat.

Solution