[SOLVED] are PC upgrades a good choice?

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Solution
Unless this is a small form factor build that has no choice -- and it isn't -- a 120mm AIO is rarely a good idea and I see no reason to think it's a good one there. Either upgrade to a 240mm AIO or save money and go with a good air cooler, which will easily outperform a 120mm AIO.

[Edit: Phaaze's advice about the CPU/platform choice is also on-target]

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That cooler is adequate for a quad core cpu, not a hexa core. 240mm if you want to go the liquid route.
Aside from that, I don't see any issues.

EDIT: I take back what I said.
The 9600K is just a bad idea all around.
10600K + Z490, or go the Ryzen 3000 route.

Reactions: Ian_64

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Unless this is a small form factor build that has no choice -- and it isn't -- a 120mm AIO is rarely a good idea and I see no reason to think it's a good one there. Either upgrade to a 240mm AIO or save money and go with a good air cooler, which will easily outperform a 120mm AIO.

Solution

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
That cooler is adequate for a quad core cpu, not a hexa core. 240mm if you want to go the liquid route.

would this cooler do well? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Hy...ords=240mm+water+cooler&qid=1591752719&sr=8-9

Would you recommend any particular air cooler at a similar price? the last time I built for myself the 212 evo was known to be a decent cooler.

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016

what makes it a bad idea? bearing in mind the budget of 500GBP this seems ok to me.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
what makes it a bad idea? bearing in mind the budget of 500GBP this seems ok to me.
The lack of cpu threads. It was obsolete before it even launched.

If this were for older games - emulators, esports... that cpu would actually be ok - but I'd imagine this is for newer games, or AAA?
There already exists games that can use up to 8 threads - then there's the recent CoD: Warzone that can use up to 12... not going to get far on just 6 threads.

Reactions: Ian_64