Question Are people full of it about the i7 7700k? (2019)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewCRX

BANNED
Oct 23, 2019
I feel like so many people are BSing me about how great the i7 7700k is. I sometimes see it hit 100% in some titles and I've read before (Correct me if I'm wrong) that it's not good to go over 80% or so because it have something to do with it using more so the hyperthreading than the actual cores? Confusing for me. If I got a 500+ dollar ryzen not the cheap junk, or perhaps an i9 9900k would it be a huge improvement? The extra cores and the more theoretical horse power would give everything more room to breath in a sense and in my mind that would mean everything would be smoother OVER the i7 7700k. Am I correct? Please explain if you can, I know you people are smart and I respect your opinions. Thank you.

AndrewCRX

BANNED
Oct 23, 2019
1440p 144hz monitor, 7700K OC, stutter in BF5 multiplayer... how many sticks of ram are you equipped with?
I have 16 gigs of DDR4 3000mhz, VENGENCE memory or something, gaming related. To be clear my stutters were massively reduced after going from 2400mhz memory to 3000mhz after noticing the PC I built for my friend was getting better, more smooth performance with his 3000mhz kit. So anybody who says RAM doesn't make a difference is spreading misinformation yet again as is so common in the PC world.

AndrewCRX

BANNED
Oct 23, 2019
Back then, 7700k is the king. nothing (with reasonable price) could beat it, and everything run smoothly with that. It was when Intel is still king, and AMD is just the budget option. Nowadays games have moved from 4 cores to 6+ cores. Games like BF1, Division 2, etc. will run better with 4+ threads (given that you have good GPU to match that). So yeah, some people still stuck on how powerful their 4c systems are nowadays, but the industry are slowly, and surely leaving that behind. If you want to upgrade now though, 9900k is a good option if you have the standard 2400mhz RAM, as Intel CPUs don't really care about what RAM you have. but if you have good RAM (3200mhz or more), then I suggest to go AMD ryzen 3700.
I absolutely agree with the first part of what you wrote. However I have done some reading on how RAM speeds affect the Ryzen platform and have found users claims of increased performance from RAM speeds grossly exaggerated. Not to say there are none, but the common sentiment seems to be that the higher your RAM speed goes the more powerfulllllllllllllllllllllllll the Ryzeennnn becomesssssssssssssss, limitless powerrrrrrrrrrrrr.

AndrewCRX

BANNED
Oct 23, 2019
Core i7 7700K should be enough for all games today. Of course if you look at the CPU usage while gaming and you see it over 50% all the time, then yes, the 4 cores are not enough so it use the HT ones. Is this enough for you, or for what you wana see on the screen, it seems not.

If you ask me: "I have all the money in the world, What should I buy to be future proof (lets say 3~ 5 years)?. I would say go with atleast an 8 cores CPU with HT or SMT enable.
Is it necesary for today to get the best performance even in games that are not out yet, probably not really. A Ryzen 5 3600/X or a Core i7 9700/K should be able to get you there, atleast today and surely the next year too.

But it all depends, always, like everything in life, it all depends (in your case it depends on the resolution and refresh rate your aiming for).

Since you explainned, that you want to be able to play at 1440p@144Hz disaply and get close to that magical FPS number, you will need to pair that strong CPU (either Ryzen 7 3700X, Ryzen 9 3900X, or Core i9 9900K/KS - I would skip the Core i7 9th gen, since they don't come with HT) with a powerfull GPU, probably the one already suggested an RTX 2080TI.

Now, will this upgrade make every single game work flawlessly over the next 3 years or more, imposible to know. But for now, those are the main parts to get there.

Keep in mind, as mdd1963 worte, CPU and GPU are only two parts of a bigger ecosystem, Motherboard, Cooler, PSU, RAM and Storage are also important, and even if they only add a small percentage to the FPS counter, 1 weak link in the chain can make everything work like crap.
Thank you very much for your insightful response, better than the moderators managed to do which is surprising to me, then again this site has most likely gone down the tubes over the years, as when asked questions they complain about not having money and saving up for roof gutters, absolutely pointless. I have an ASUS Prime 270A motherboard, now... I'm not actually going to switch but let's say I theoretically upgraded my MOBO to a 400+ dollar one, all the bells and whistles even though mine is no slouch. My question is would the upgraded MOBO provide increased performance? As in to say are motherboards like GPU's in that there are different tiers with OBVIOUS performance gains/losses by picking between any of them?

Well I believe the moderators have thier point of view, even if thier answer was not enough or good for you. And most of them, if not all, are way beyond my humble knowledge.

About the upgrade mobo question, the answer is no really, no by itselft.

Why? well, a better motherboard (with a better VRM desing, better cooling solution, better PCB, better BIOS, more compatible memory sticks tested, etc.) should provide a better power delivering to all the components conected to it, so it may allow for a more aggressive and stable overclock, it could also allow for better memory tweaking and the better PCB would improve the signal integrity .
All that in the end, may give you a small performance gain, but really, unless everything else (RAM, PSU, etc.) can work togheter in harmony at that "high level of expectation" it wont be anything to pay for. Atleast thats how I see it.

For me a balanced component choice is more important than, I will go for the expensive one, its expensinve so it should be better right?!.

In my many years of technician life, Ive seen lots of post on diferent forums and read and see lots of reviews where the more expensive "thing", not always translate to the better one. Heck Ive seen those cases in person too.

Here is one of many examples:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0vmGHbwx1M

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.