[SOLVED] Are people still buying RTX card despite dying issues?

luckystrikes

Honorable
Jan 27, 2015
Hello community,

I've been following up with the news in regards to RTX cards dying since last Fall 2018.
I've been reading more and more RTX cards (not just 2080 ti, but equivalent amount of 2070, 2080 ) dying recently as well.
Still yet to find many friends and people I know ordering RTX cards like the issue will happen to only unlucky people... treating it as just a fuss or something not after especially NVIDIA admitted their cards are dying.
I stopped looking to get one for now. It's just the structure that may be causing the problems after all since there are no official statement that is.

So is it really safe to get a new RTX cards at this point? Does anyone looked into this in a serious perspective at all?

If I do get a new card, I am going to install waterblock on it and if same RTX problem happen on it, I may be voided for warranty? That's why..

Please any advice is appreciated!
(I didn't write this just to get answers like "just get 1080s or nah you fine") lol !!!

Solution
Well because the many independent studies have shown that RTX cards are not failing at an abnormal rate, about the same if slightly worse than pascel. The only thing nvidia admitted was there was problems with early founder edition PCB 2080 ti's. I don't think this is as widespread and dramatic as people like to make it out to be, it's just if a few people have their 1200 dollar GPU break they tend to make a lot of noise and understandably so. Pascel cards like the 1080 are going up steeply in price since they are no longer being manufactured so a lot of people don't have a choice in the matter, it's RTX or AMD.

Gamers Nexus has a great video on this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIRfPlC15uc

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well because the many independent studies have shown that RTX cards are not failing at an abnormal rate, about the same if slightly worse than pascel. The only thing nvidia admitted was there was problems with early founder edition PCB 2080 ti's. I don't think this is as widespread and dramatic as people like to make it out to be, it's just if a few people have their 1200 dollar GPU break they tend to make a lot of noise and understandably so. Pascel cards like the 1080 are going up steeply in price since they are no longer being manufactured so a lot of people don't have a choice in the matter, it's RTX or AMD.

Gamers Nexus has a great video on this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIRfPlC15uc

Solution

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
basically what Dunlop said.

However, despite what you just said, I wills say this:

Unless you plan to get a 2080 Ti, then you are much better off finding a used 1080 Ti for around $500, and if you plan to water block it, then finding an AIB card that has extra power phases and such that also has a waterblock for it can be difficult to find for the price I mentioned, but you can easily get founders edition 1080 Ti's for around that price maybe less actually and be able to put a water block on it.

Otherwise, if you really want that ray tracing tech for when games actually start to use it and use it well, then you can take the chance and buy an RTX card and hope that you didn't get screwed with one that will die.

And if you plan to take advantage of RTX when games start utilizing it, best to get a 2070 or greater as RTX on the 2060 is useless.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Also fair to mention that you can't really buy high end Pascal cards any longer, so it is either that or trying to get a Radeon VII.

Still a few 1070Ti floating around, but they are pretty much the same price as the RTX2070.

Also not much reason to buy a GTX1070 over an RTX2060.

Apr 22, 2019
Hi guys, the issue is not just with 2080 or 2080ti. In January I bought msi armour 2070 and it failed in 34 days. I got a Replacement fron msi and since this issue is well known (these are the words of msi customer service) I thought there is no way the Replacement can fail. But guess what? It did. I will rma it eventually, but now it has sort of odd behaviour. In some games i get space invaders, then after i restart the comp. it seems ok and plays fine. Then other times i have system freezing up on start up (no video signal detected). Then i got error code i think it was 43 (win10 blocked device). After i uninstalled driver and installed it was fine Then the vicious cycle spinned again. So basically it is working a bit and then not working. I am waiting for it to die off completely because i would not like to rma it just for msi to say that the card is fine. So thats my rtx story. I hope my 3rd 2070 will be trouble free.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Whoever said that the 2060 RTX is useless you're pretty much wrong.
I had 1070 GTX, and got a 2060 RTX is pretty much way stronger than 1070 and worth the price tag to be honest.
Its a great card and not that expensive and give you a good amount of FPS in games.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Whoever said that the 2060 RTX is useless you're pretty much wrong.
I had 1070 GTX, and got a 2060 RTX is pretty much way stronger than 1070 and worth the price tag to be honest.
Its a great card and not that expensive and give you a good amount of FPS in games.

I think they meant that ray tracing on the 2060 is pretty much useless. Meaning marketing the 2060 as a card capable of utilizing ray tracing in a modern demanding game is a bit misleading. However it is a good card for the money none the less.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
I think they meant that ray tracing on the 2060 is pretty much useless. Meaning marketing the 2060 as a card capable of utilizing ray tracing in a modern demanding game is a bit misleading. However it is a good card for the money none the less.

Well if they meant that i totally agree, i didn't even use ray tracing in any game (not planning to) its just waste of FPS but else than its just a great card to have you know.

TRENDING THREADS