Are powerspec psu's any good?

cboyz001

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
I have a vega 56 coming on thursday and need to pick a new psu. Microcenter currently has a corsair 650w fully modular for $70, but they also have a 650w semi modular 'powerspec' brand on sale for $45. Anyone have any horror stories or any reason i shouldnt save almost 50%?
Thanks

Solution

Power supplies are guilty until proven innocent; any PSU is assumed garbage until either the platform or the PSU itself has been given proper testing. Unless you find a teardown -- and you rarely see them with these house rebrands with whatever dodgy low-end manufacturer is throwing parts in a box at that time -- a PSU is unrecommendable. In this case, it's a rebrand of Inland power supplies. Inland used to make up their own little fake badges that...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Power supplies are guilty until proven innocent; any PSU is assumed garbage until either the platform or the PSU itself has been given proper testing. Unless you find a teardown -- and you rarely see them with these house rebrands with whatever dodgy low-end manufacturer is throwing parts in a box at that time -- a PSU is unrecommendable. In this case, it's a rebrand of Inland power supplies. Inland used to make up their own little fake badges that looked like 80 plus, which ought to tell you all you need to know about their build quality.

What you do is up to you of course. But spending $500 on a GPU but then trying to save $25 on the most important part of your PC, well, that's a bit like using your all your money to have a moonroof installed in your car instead of getting the brakes fixed.

Solution

cboyz001

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017

yeah i kind of impulse bought the vega without thinking about the rest of my build. i ended up getting lucky and found a working corsair 650w off craigslist for $30. thanks