Are Premium Gaming Peripherals Worth Your Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Ive been looking at the G19 for some time now, ever since it came out, but I am not sure if I should just go for the Sidewinder x6 or the G15 which is still good and at a reasonable 80-100dollars where Im from....
Should I get it or wait for my next build..... x6? g15?

scorc25

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I recently just purchased a Saitek Cyborg keyboard. Very impressed with it, loving it the moment we touched. Ive used the first Saitek Eclipse, and then the Eclipse 2. The Eclipse 3 is out there; the Cyborg is basically just the gamer edition of it.

G

Keyboard: SteelSeries MERC Stealth
Mouse : Roccat Kone
Mousepad: Roccat Sota
Headset : Roccat Kave

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
bah on fancy gaming peripherals. I'm still using a roller-ball PS2 port mouse and keyboard and they work great. Price? Free, because nobody wants cheap stuff like that!

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Since I'm a flight simmer, I own both a CH Yoke+Pedals and a Saitek X52 Pro. I also bought an "A4Tech" laser gaming mouse - a discount brand but the mouse itself compares to any Logitech or Razer rodent...for half the price. For keyboard, I'm using a $10 no name corded keyboard :)

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I don't need the $100+ keyboards or anything, what REALLY makes a difference in my playing is how smooth the feet of the mouse are, and how comfortable the mouse is.

I had a $10 cheap ass mouse, was the most comfortable mouse I've ever used, but then the cord wore down and it stopped working, and I lack the skills to fix it. Bought a Microsoft Habu, didn't like it at all. Bought a Logitech G5, love it. Bought a steelseries mousepad, OH MY GORSH. My KDR in games (particularly sniping in TF2, where headshots are near essential) nearly doubled. EVERYTHING is so much smoother when compared to my (what I thought was smooth) desktop. It just glides, no more rugged, scratchy mouse movements, it's amazing.

For keyboards, I have a Razer Arctosa, which I bought because I LOVE the flat keys, and the low profile. No need for fancy backlighting or macro keys, I just want it to be easy to type with and the keys to not be curved.

I'd advise ANY gamer who doesn't already have a mousepad to get one.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Preiphereals are worth it.
Full 7.1 sounds, 7000 DPI mouse, 9x 2560x1600 monitors, G(insert number here) keyboard, soft leather chair with fully adjustable tilt, proper desk...
You could have a boring powerhouse, or a crappy computer but with all the fixings. It's nice having the extras.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
@ Fortunex

Totally agree w/you dude. I also have a Logitech G5 with a Steelpad 5L mousepad, it feels like my mouse is gliding each time i game. Flawless!
I can't go back to anything after that combo :)

G

Gaming peripherals won't make a bad player good, but they can enhance a good player's game. Or at the very least, add some comfort to make the long hours of gaming less ergonomically stressful

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Should have looked at other brands other than the 2 big ones, OCZ's line of mice and keyboards are an amazing deal for their performance. I suggest anyone thinking about getting a gaming specific keyboard or mouse at least give them a check. I've used them personally, and my customers love them too.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I like this article! Comparing products without having to find a winner is a nice change.
Too bad you can't have the g19 display on a saitek chrismas lighting board with keys.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Flying Sq[/nom]Should have looked at other brands other than the 2 big ones, OCZ's line of mice and keyboards are an amazing deal for their performance. I suggest anyone thinking about getting a gaming specific keyboard or mouse at least give them a check. I've used them personally, and my customers love them too.[/citation]There are too many products out there for them to cover any but the most common...and perhaps some they'd like to point out to users.

I have a bad habit of spilling beer on my keyboard while playing tf2 and destroying it. So I don't buy expensive keyboards anymore. Which is fine since I use a Logitech G13 gamepad anyway. The thing I noticed about nicer peripherals is that you don't notice too much change when you get them, it's when you have to go back to the ultra cheap stuff that it becomes bothersome. I have a gigabyte ghost mouse, plantronics gamecom headset, an old Q-pad, and my 15 USD Logitech USB keyboard...All of which I am glad to have. If I had to go back to some of the simpler hardware out there, I'd be a little unhappy.

timbo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
To say good peripherals won't improve your game is silly. A good mouse & pad will make a difference, no matter your skill level. Get a good mouse like a MX518 & a good pad like a SteelSeries & your game will improve. Makes me think the author isn't that experienced @ fps.

x_microbe_x

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I feel compelled to respond to this artical mainly from a highly competitive FPS perspective. Been playing FPS games for years and I am currently into QuakeLive pretty hardcore atm.

I just wanted to disagree with the part about the very high DPI settings on some of the more expensive not being of much use. I've went from a plain M$ mouse, to a MX518 (1600dpi), to a G5 (2000dpi), to a G9x (5000dpi) and have seen notable gain in speed and control with each upgrade. Going from the $40 MX518 to the $100 G9x is a pretty remarkable improvment. A must say that using a good mouse pad can actually make or brake a high dpi setting.

Obviously one needs to go into the console and fine tune the sensitivity in order to take full advantage of a high dpi setting. I recommend using the 360/inches method to figure out the exact sens you need when upgrading. I'm currently playing at .52 sens/ 5000dpi/ 1000 polling rate with my G9x (this comes out to 5 inches per 360 degree rotation, or 360/5") and I will never go back to my old G5.

After trying many preiphereals, this is the best setup I've found so far

keyboard: Wolf King Warrior $40, or Warrior Extreme $60
mouse: G9x with smaller grip $100
pad: Razer Destructor $40
headset: Steelseries $80

h83

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Are Premium Gaming Peripherals Worth Your Money?

For me, they aren´t. I have a cheap keyboard and mouse from Lifetech and they are more than enough to play Counter Strike Source at a very nice level. I prefer to spent that kind of money on PC parts like CPUs and graphic cards.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]h83[/nom]Are Premium Gaming Peripherals Worth Your Money?For me, they aren´t. I have a cheap keyboard and mouse from Lifetech and they are more than enough to play Counter Strike Source at a very nice level. I prefer to spent that kind of money on PC parts like CPUs and graphic cards.[/citation]
Using a cheap hp basic keyboard and noname mic is fine for me too, but I can't live without a proper wireless laser mouse. Since the day I got my first 'cordless logitech mouse' I can't imagine life with a generic noname thing. It just wouldn't work.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
"the G9 has a more rectangular design. The mouse features changeable cover plates called "grips," and while the mouse ships with the silken precision grip installed, I found the rough texture of the wide load grip to be more suited to gaming"

I believe this statement is incorrect. I also own a G9, and I love the narrower rough textured grip, the same one as pictured. The smooth grip is the wide-load grip.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
As someone who started with a Dell e510 and slowly upgraded and eventually built his own system i can say that peripherals help as long as the underlying system is up to snuff.

My G5 has been very good to me, coming from an LED mouse it made a huge difference. I used to tied because the LED mouse didn't pick up my fast movements well. The weight customization is great. i've tried different combinations...gives it a different feel.

My G15 has been great also, though i don't use macros but the illuminated keys and lcd are the reasons i bought it. plus i only paid 65 bucks like 2 years ago.

Also use the Original Creative Fatal1ty USB headset, which i recommend to anyone. Good bass, very confortable to wear for a while, no ear sweating. I tried more expensive headsets that i returned due to focusing too much on Highs.
After those 2 my gaming improved and so i focused on hardware. now i run games maxed out settings smooth.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I'm still looking for the "ultimate" gaming headset! Any thoughts? The perfect setup for me would be a very light and thin over-the-ear microphone only, ideally wireless! Then I would add my own headphones when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.