Question Are Quad Cores finally becoming irrelevant?

Notrix

Honorable
Apr 14, 2014
Ever since I have installed RDR 2 on my rig, I have been experiencing constant stutterings on my i3 9100f(4c/4t) even though on high-med I get 60+ fps, those occasional 5 second long stutters are a huge blow to an otherwise wonderful experience.
I have seen benchmarks with the same GPU as mine on an i5 9400f(6c/8t) and there were very minimal stutters .
That said, I recon most people still use 4 cores CPUs in their rigs and are also experiencing the same issue, workarounds have been found but this leaves me even more confused.
Is it just a bad optimization or are the quad cores starting to become irrelevant?

Notrix

Honorable
Apr 14, 2014

InvalidError

Titan
Normal stutter due to slow CPU is typically in the tens of milliseconds resulting in one or more consecutive skipped frames at 60Hz. When you get into seconds, you are into either software bug or out-of-memory territory.

Given Rockstar's long history of poorly optimized ports and RDR2 requiring day-0 driver updates to work, expect plenty of game-breaking bugs for the first couple of weeks. One major problem with so many game studios these days is that "launch day" has effectively turned into open beta.

Reactions: Finstar

TRENDING THREADS