Are RAMs from different manufacturers the same or they differ ?

WWP

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hello,

I want to buy msi gf75 from Amazon and the seller have different versions of the same laptop.

one with 32GB DDR4 2666, the other with 8GB

I learned that they are from Korean manufacturer. It's not a famous brand.

Should I buy the 8GB and upgrade it later with Corsair 32GB ? Or buy the 32GB now ?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hello,

I want to buy msi gf75 from Amazon and the seller have different versions of the same laptop.

one with 32GB DDR4 2666, the other with 8GB

I learned that they are from Korean manufacturer. It's not a famous brand.

Should I buy the 8GB and upgrade it later with Corsair 32GB ? Or buy the 32GB now ?

Hi @WWP

Depends on the cost. If they are the same, obviously go for the 32GB version. If the cost is alot less for the 8GB model, do a quick search on Amazon for RAM that would fit and compare the costs. If you buy your own RAM, remember you'll want it to be a matching pair, so 2x16GB modules. Remove the 8GB stick (if you go with that one) as it's never a good idea to mix n' match RAM. Sometimes they will play nice & sometimes nothing but trouble.

Link to the GF75 so we can look at it. Be sure to look at the Warranty terms as well.

Let us know! :)

Reactions: WWP

WWP

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hi @WWP

Depends on the cost. If they are the same, obviously go for the 32GB version. If the cost is alot less for the 8GB model, do a quick search on Amazon for RAM that would fit and compare the costs. If you buy your own RAM, remember you'll want it to be a matching pair, so 2x16GB modules. Remove the 8GB stick (if you go with that one) as it's never a good idea to mix n' match RAM. Sometimes they will play nice & sometimes nothing but trouble.

Link to the GF75 so we can look at it. Be sure to look at the Warranty terms as well.

Let us know! :)

The cost is less.

II have now 3 options.

1. MSI GF75 Thin Gaming Laptop, Intel i7-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti, 17.3" FHD 120Hz IPS-Level, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 6-Core up to 4.50 GHz, Backlit, 4K Output, Win 10, Free Forza Game
$1,155.53

2. MSI GF75 Thin Gaming Laptop, Intel i7-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti, 17.3" FHD 120Hz IPS-Level, 32GB RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD+1TB HDD, 6-Core up to 4.50 GHz, Backlit, 4K Output, Win 10, Free Forza Game
$1,160.43

3. MSI GF75 17.3" Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7-9750H 8GB RAM 512GB SSD 120Hz GTX 1660 Ti Aluminum Black
$1,035.00

And a renewed one of the $1,035.00 model.

MSI GF75 17.3" Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7-9750H 8GB RAM 512GB SSD 120Hz GTX 1660 Ti Aluminum Black (Renewed)
$839.00

------------------------------------------------------------------

I really want the renewed one but I'm afraid that it could contain some scratches that would give me the unhappy first impression.

I want to be sure that it doesn't have scratches on the display. Because it's a lot cheaper than the others and planning to upgrade the RAMs and the nvme ssd slot to something 1TB + my own 2TB HDD seagate.

What you guys think ?

I thought about the ASUS G731GU and went to our dep. store and tried it with the MSI GF65 (couldn't find the GF75 version) but anyway it doesn't matter both laptops are amazing.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Of course it's easy for me to "spend" your money, but of the 3 you listed, #2 would be my choice. :) 16GB more RAM + an extra 256GB for only $4.90 more is a steal. I do not like renewed (also called refurbished) as you are 100% correct to fear it'll be "imperfect" with scratches & whatnot. Also it's warranty will be very short in comparison. (Of course it's much cheaper as a result, but I like my warranty)

WWP

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
They give 90 warranty for the refurbished one.

My current laptop is a refurbished Dell 7559. When I received it, it was like new; almost like used few times. But there was one hit in the middle of the display very small not so noticeable. That's why I'm thinking of getting the refurbished one.

But I'm asking them to provide me with photos of the laptop and guarantee me that the display is perfect !

I'm waiting for their response.

Of course it's easy for me to "spend" your money, but of the 3 you listed, #2 would be my choice. :) 16GB more RAM + an extra 256GB for only $4.90 more is a steal. I do not like renewed (also called refurbished) as you are 100% correct to fear it'll be "imperfect" with scratches & whatnot. Also it's warranty will be very short in comparison. (Of course it's much cheaper as a result, but I like my warranty)

So you think that their 32GB Korean RAMs are same as 32GB from corsair ?

I thought the RAMs brand is important as both RAMs are the same rated specs DDR4 2666.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
They give 90 warranty for the refurbished one.

My current laptop is a refurbished Dell 7559. When I received it, it was like new; almost like used few times. But there was one hit in the middle of the display very small not so noticeable. That's why I'm thinking of getting the refurbished one.

But I'm asking them to provide me with photos of the laptop and guarantee me that the display is perfect !

I'm waiting for their response.

So you think that their 32GB Korean RAMs are same as 32GB from corsair ?

I thought the RAMs brand is important as both RAMs are the same rated specs DDR4 2666.

Is the RAM itself from Korea or just the laptop? I ask because there are a TON of different types of RAM on the market from many different countries. Some are excellent and some are cheaply made. Would have to know the exact make & model of RAM and look at the stamp or sticker on the RAM to see where it was manufactured. Hynix for example is made in South Korea and it's one of the largest "brands" in the world with I think Samsung being the only company to beat them, though I'd have to verify to be sure.

WWP

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Is the RAM itself from Korea or just the laptop? I ask because there are a TON of different types of RAM on the market from many different countries. Some are excellent and some are cheaply made. Would have to know the exact make & model of RAM and look at the stamp or sticker on the RAM to see where it was manufactured. Hynix for example is made in South Korea and it's one of the largest "brands" in the world with I think Samsung being the only company to beat them, though I'd have to verify to be sure.

This video explains the same laptop, I think the RAMs are the same:
MSI GF75 Thin 95C Disassembly Upgrade @ 3:32

WWP

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
I think I would go with the refurbished one.

I would upgrade the RAMs and install a new nvme ssd later.

There's a 90 days guarantee I can send it back but the problem is that I'm in Saudi Arabia, sending the laptop in case if I didn't like it would be costly a bit and I may regret that I wish I got the new one.

But my previous experience with my last laptop, it wasn't so bad, just a small scratch in the middle of the display, it wasn't a big deal.

Also with the hope that this laptop display would be perfect.

WWP

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
I just contacted Amazon .. Amazon always blow me with their luxurious policy in backing up customers !

They said if I didn't like the refurbished laptop I can send it back and they would cover the shipping costs !

That's it I'm getting the refurbished laptop now, and upgrade it later.

Reactions: Mrgr74

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I just contacted Amazon .. Amazon always blow me with their luxurious policy in backing up customers !

They said if I didn't like the refurbished laptop I can send it back and they would cover the shipping costs !

That's it I'm getting the refurbished laptop now, and upgrade it later.

Sweet! Let us know how it looks once it arrives and congrats as it looks like a great laptop as well!

WWP

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Sweet! Let us know how it looks once it arrives and congrats as it looks like a great laptop as well!

I got the laptop :D

It's really amazing, I love this laptop and the i7 is beast, didn't measure its performance but there're a lot of reviews about this CPU but the laptop is snappy which is the wanted.

20200404-175615.jpg

20200404-175633.jpg

20200404-175644.jpg

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I got the laptop :D

It's really amazing, I love this laptop and the i7 is beast, didn't measure its performance but there're a lot of reviews about this CPU but the laptop is snappy which is the wanted.

20200404-175615.jpg

20200404-175633.jpg

20200404-175644.jpg

Sweet looking Laptop!

Now play a few games on it and run a few programs to measure it's performance and let us know!

Congrats again! :)

WWP

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Well, this is a heavy task of running multiple programs and the laptop is actually pretty hot as it in balanced mode.

But it's snappy :) and that what matters.

I ran core temp and yep it's pretty hot.

performance1.png

temps.png

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Well, this is a heavy task of running multiple programs and the laptop is actually pretty hot as it in balanced mode.

But it's snappy :) and that what matters.

I ran core temp and yep it's pretty hot.

performance1.png

temps.png

Buy a laptop cooler. It'll save you $$ in the long run. There are a TON on the market to choose from. I bought this one for my wife this past Christmas to go with the laptop I got her and it does a great job of cooling.

WWP

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Buy a laptop cooler. It'll save you $$ in the long run. There are a TON on the market to choose from. I bought this one for my wife this past Christmas to go with the laptop I got her and it does a great job of cooling.
wow thanks :)

I'm really happy with this laptop the i7 with the 6 cores really handles the tasks as in balance mode, I even didn't try the high performance mode.