[SOLVED] Are Ryzen CPUs good for a couple of years?

shoohs

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
It's been a while since AMD's newest line of CPUs the Ryzen smashed the CPU marketplace. Main question is that are ryzen CPUs good for a couple of years? I mean in a base to base comparison with the Intel's core i7 CPU, surely the i7 promises a lot of gaming capability and tasking for a couple of years, even for a 6th or 7th gen a solid 1080p PC. Moreover, the 9th gen Intel surely promises a lot. I was thinking of AMD as they do have much core and threads than Intel yet I was looking time as a factor.

Solution
For a couple of years maybe 4-5 that's my point, are ryzen cpus capable of gaming and tasking.

The point we are making is thats an impossible to give an exact answer question. What is "tasking"? The dual core pentium gold in my Surface Go can "task" all day long.

You want something that can crush the newest games, have a bunch of browsers open, and record you while you're doing it? Sure the Ryzen 7 3950X can do that, and probably for a long time. Want to just game and stream? Sure the 3700X can do that no problem. Gaming only, or other software? 3600X, will crush it now, and probably last.

You should buy a CPU based on what you need it for, and in theory it should do that for a good amount of time. Its been a very...

shoohs

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
Indeed it AMD is upgradable, so does Intel. I was looking at Intel's CPUs since the line has been reliable in gaming as well as for the time to come. Hence, I was asking if the Ryzen line especially the Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 can be reliable for gaming, tasking and for the years to come. Maybe for a few years. There hasn't been an AMD breakthrough since the release of Ryzen CPUs.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
What do you mean by "good for a couple years"?

Do you mean failure? Because CPUs can mostly outlast the hardware they are installed in. They simply (unless you overclock the crap out of them or overheat them) last "forever".

Performance wise? They haven't even been around long enough to say whether they could become a handicap or not. Considering how the performance needed in games is leaning more towards multithreaded workloads, the fact that most are at least 6 core means they should last quite a while before they are a performance handicap.

I have a Ryzen 7 1800X I got on launch day, now 3 years old, it still has 0 problems with anything

Reactions: mkaafy
It's been a while since AMD's newest line of CPUs the Ryzen smashed the CPU marketplace. Main question is that are ryzen CPUs good for a couple of years? I mean in a base to base comparison with the Intel's core i7 CPU, surely the i7 promises a lot of gaming capability and tasking for a couple of years, even for a 6th or 7th gen a solid 1080p PC. Moreover, the 9th gen Intel surely promises a lot. I was thinking of AMD as they do have much core and threads than Intel yet I was looking time as a factor.
If you mean is it 'future proofed' I think it will be. You have to buy top-of-line Intel CPU's to get as many cores/threads as you can with bottom of line AMD Ryzen CPU's. And at the very topmost, there are no Intel's with 16 cores/32 threads at all. And they're also very much more power efficient than what Intel has right now... or the next 12-18 months or so.

With the speed that these processors (AMD as well as Intel's 6 and 8 core SMT processors) are getting snapped up I think it safe to say software developers will be doing a lot to put those threads to use, too, so you'll need it. Not only games, but more productivity apps. Even Microsoft has stepped up with recent Windows updates that better exploit capabilities of high core-count CPU architectures. That usually means without the hardware at some point you'll find yourself scaling back the way you work in Windows.

Last edited:

shoohs

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
If you mean is it 'future proofed' I think it will be. You have to buy top-of-line Intel CPU's to get as many cores/threads as you can with bottom of line AMD Ryzen CPU's. And at the very topmost, there are no Intel's with 16 cores/32 threads at all. And they're also very much more power efficient than what Intel has right now... or the next 12-18 months or so.

With the speed that these processors (AMD as well as Intel's 6 and 8 core SMT processors) are getting snapped up I think it safe to say software developers will be doing a lot to put those threads to use, too, so you'll need it. Not only games, but more productivity apps. Even Microsoft has stepped up with recent Windows updates that better exploit capabilities of high core-count CPU architectures. That usually means without the hardware at some point you'll find yourself scaling back the way you work in Windows.

Thanks man, so AMD's Ryzen are for future proofed.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

There is no such thing as "future proof". It is unknown what could happen in 6 months or a year, there could be a huge breakthrough in performance. Maybe there will be none. There are a lot of people out there with 4 year old i7-6700k and 7700k processors that are finding they have problems with some games. It happens, things change.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
CPU's age slower than GPU's
my last CPU was a 955 black and it was in my system for 9 years before I felt the need to upgrade to a 1500x at the end of 2019.
it was a lack of CPU extensions that forced my upgrade, the 955 is still serving us as a media center.

Once you get past the apparently impossible task of trying to predict the future enough to say something is 'future proofed', which is really just semantics, I wouldn't say that Ryzen's are future proofed. I'd say buying a high core-count processor is the future proofing, or the closest thing that does it today. What Ryzens do is make it so the average Joe can buy 6 cores/12 threads all the way up to 16 cores/32 threads in a bona fide high performance, energy efficient, desktop platform at an affordable price. Definitely couldn't do that three years ago with anything else, and really not even today when you consider the 'affordable' and 'efficient' part of it more closely.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
For a couple of years maybe 4-5 that's my point, are ryzen cpus capable of gaming and tasking.

The point we are making is thats an impossible to give an exact answer question. What is "tasking"? The dual core pentium gold in my Surface Go can "task" all day long.

You want something that can crush the newest games, have a bunch of browsers open, and record you while you're doing it? Sure the Ryzen 7 3950X can do that, and probably for a long time. Want to just game and stream? Sure the 3700X can do that no problem. Gaming only, or other software? 3600X, will crush it now, and probably last.

You should buy a CPU based on what you need it for, and in theory it should do that for a good amount of time. Its been a very long time since the higher end of AMD's CPUs were poor choices. Nowadays you can't go wrong with either brand, but AMD eeks out Intel in value based on the number of cores you get for the price.

As for what any of them will do in 5 years? Most likely they will still do the job just as well. Not as good as the newest ones, but won't be poor either. Plenty of people here still gaming on 5 year old CPUs perfectly fine except for a few games. The current trend is more cores, so we can guess it will continue that way, as software catches up. No way to predict where the technology will go, we can only speculate, hence nothing is ever "future proof".

Solution