[SOLVED] Are Samsung 850EVO & 860EVO RAID 1 Compatible?

Jan 9, 2020
Been using a pair of Samsung 850 EVO 1tb drives in a RAID1 setup using Intel Rapid Storage for about 5 years.
About the 3year mark, I started getting a failure of one of the drives. Samsung would replace the drive, and after rebuilding the RAID, all was well again.

Just recently rec'd a warranteed drive, however it's an 860EVO.

My question is, are the 850 and 860 EVO's compatible in a RAID 1 setup?
Samsung refused to answer the question.

Thanks!
Jim Z

Solution
They should be. You can RAID1 with an SSD and a HDD if you wanted. You'll suffer performance issues but it will work.

That being said I always suggest to people to NOT use RAID. In any form. Drive uptime means nothing to a home user. You can afford to reinstall windows.

4745454b

Titan
They should be. You can RAID1 with an SSD and a HDD if you wanted. You'll suffer performance issues but it will work.

That being said I always suggest to people to NOT use RAID. In any form. Drive uptime means nothing to a home user. You can afford to reinstall windows.

Reactions: CPU benchmark
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Can you? Yes.

Should you? Probably not.

RAID 1 is good for overall uptime, if being 'down' means lost $$.
A regular backup schedule is far better to actually protect your data. And any RAID 1 should be supported with a comprehensive backup routine anyway.

Jan 9, 2020
Thank you for informative responses.
Uptime is important to me, even though I'm fully backed up with Carbonite.
Re-O/S'ing is a painful and time consuming experience, have done enough of them during the last 30+ years of computing.
Jim Z

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for informative responses.
Uptime is important to me, even though I'm fully backed up with Carbonite.
Re-O/S'ing is a painful and time consuming experience, have done enough of them during the last 30+ years of computing.
Jim Z
Carbonite is only one aspect of a good backup routine.
3-2-1
3 copies, on at least 2 different media, at least one of them offsite.

A local backup of your OS drive precludes having to reinstall anything.

Reactions: Maxxify
Jan 23, 2020
Been using a pair of Samsung 850 EVO 1tb drives in a RAID1 setup using Intel Rapid Storage for about 5 years.
About the 3year mark, I started getting a failure of one of the drives. Samsung would replace the drive, and after rebuilding the RAID, all was well again.

Just recently rec'd a warranteed drive, however it's an 860EVO.

My question is, are the 850 and 860 EVO's compatible in a RAID 1 setup?
Samsung refused to answer the question.

Thanks!
Jim Z
Sadly, I highly recommend getting rid of those 850 EVOs as quickly as possible. When mine died I couldn't access anything on it. I was king of losing my mind trying to figure out where the problem was... just the dead drive.

Jan 23, 2020
Poor advice.
850 EVO's are among the most reliable and stable consumer grade SSD's around.
Poor advice.
850 EVO's are among the most reliable and stable consumer grade SSD's around.
I used to think the same until that happened to me. What dissappointed even me more was the lack of tech support from Samsung. Anyone who tries to go through the warranty repair process will understand what I'm saying. I'm posting this so others have some other knowledge to review and consider...so they don't end up like me.