Are Second hand mining GPUs okay?

Jimbo832

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2013
At the moment i have a Asus HD 6770 and it is starting to struggle in many games and i am looking for a upgrade.
I have seen many R9 290's cheap but the one condition is as the auctioners state "This card was used for bitcoin mining for a short period of time, never overheated always sat at 65-75*C, I can offer my own 3 month warranty on this card from date". Is it okay to purchase one of these graphics cards? thanks.

Solution

I'd probably avoid it.

Mining is very hard on GPUs. A friend of mine lost 3 GTX 570s that he was using for mining. Granted he had them overclocked which, when combined with the ridiculous load that mining places on them as is, probably melted the VRMs.

Personally, I would avoid it, in part because I don't want to...

I'd probably avoid it.

Mining is very hard on GPUs. A friend of mine lost 3 GTX 570s that he was using for mining. Granted he had them overclocked which, when combined with the ridiculous load that mining places on them as is, probably melted the VRMs.

Personally, I would avoid it, in part because I don't want to reward the stupid waste of electricity that is cryptomining. I would especially avoid it if the seller can't establish some sort of reputation.

Solution