Are small (< 30"), curved monitors good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocetmal

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Hi all,

I went to a Best Buy to look at monitors that I don't need. I upgraded to a 1060 from a 9-year old 5750 and thought, hey this must mean I need a new monitor. My standard 21.5" 1080 60Hz works fine, I probably don't need a new monitor, but I wanted to check out 144hz and 2k displays. (yeah, yeah, "1060 isn't good enough to upgrade from a 1080p @ 60Hz")

Lo and behold, I saw a curved monitor and actually didn't hate it. Of course, Linus over at techtips says unless you're getting a really large monitor, curved screens are a pretty unnecessary buy, and the one I was looking at was a mere 24" (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-390-series-24-led-curved-fhd-freesync-monitor-high-glossy-black/5044601.p?skuId=5044601).

Now this one was on a shelf about a foot higher than my head, so I didn't have direct exposure to clicking around, but I kind of liked the perceived ergonomics.

Does anyone have any direct experience with a smaller curved monitor? Would love to hear about your experience.

Unless you are sitting extremely close to your screen a coverd monitor won't do much at below 30 inches.

You could buy it if you like it.
The best way to decide on a monitor is in person.

That said, consider busting your budget for something that is a significant upgrade.
Monitors last a long time.
I think I would look for something in the 27"-30" range with a 1440P resolution.
If you are a fast action gamer, look for a tn panel and higher refresh rate which will not be expensive.
If you favor more visually oriented games like mmo sims or strategy games look for a ips panel with a wider 178/178 viewing angle.
Keep your old monitor attached as a side monitor for email and performance monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.