[SOLVED] Are sound cards integrated into motherboards?

Solution
Yes, sound cards are virtually always integrated into motherboards. Some people say they're not high quality and you should get a dedicated sound card; I've never noticed a difference.

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
Yes, sound cards are virtually always integrated into motherboards. Some people say they're not high quality and you should get a dedicated sound card; I've never noticed a difference.

Solution

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
The answers are right that mobos contain sound cards, but wrong that you don't need a sound card unless you have problems.

It depends on what you're doing and what your requirements are. For general use with basic speaker or a gaming headset, an integrated sound card is fine. For a basic microphone, the integrated card is fine. If you want to listen to lossless music over high quality headphones, get an USB DAC.

If you plan to making a living with voice acting, want to record some music/singing or even just wanna make YT videos, you probably want to invest in a good microphone and with it, into a decent recording solution.

For general use, yea built-in sound is fine...

D

Deleted member 14196

The answers are right that mobos contain sound cards, but wrong that you don't need a sound card unless you have problems.

It depends on what you're doing and what your requirements are. For general use with basic speaker or a gaming headset, an integrated sound card is fine. For a basic microphone, the integrated card is fine. If you want to listen to lossless music over high quality headphones, get an USB DAC.

If you plan to making a living with voice acting, want to record some music/singing or even just wanna make YT videos, you probably want to invest in a good microphone and with it, into a decent recording solution.

For general use, yea built-in sound is fine...

this is well said, it really does depend on usage. I like super high quality music and integrated sound I can always hear noises and electronic chatter. I don't care for onboard sound at all, no matter what they say--nor sound cards (I use only DAC and AMP). but you can decide.