Are SSD important for gaming

bigjohnny

Reputable
May 20, 2016
im currently building mainly for 1080p gaming.Ive been told that games like Batman Arkham Knight and Fallout 4 suffer from stuttering because of slow storage which is the only reason im thinking of getting the SSD

Gigabyte ga h97m d3h(already have)
Antec earthwatts 650w 80+bronze(already have)
Seagate 1tb hard drive(already have)
Intel i5 4590 3.3ghz(already have)
Kingston hyperx fury blue 1600 16gb(2x8gb)
Corsair carbide 400q atx mid tower
Acer XF240H 1920x1080p 144hz
Samsung 850 evo 250gb 2.5
Cryorig M9
Asus Dual Gtx 1060 6gb

Solution
In my experience very few games actually benefit from SSD's, meaning you aren't likely to see a huge performance benefit from them in game. For example Fallout 4 has very slow loading times regardless of using a hard drive or ssd (I have tried it on both and seen very little performance gain). That being said, SSD's are great if you are going to use them as a boot drive or are running programs on them like Photoshop ect. as they will greatly increase speed and boot times.

rkzhao

Respectable
Mar 8, 2016
The speed benefit is noticeable for load times. Stuttering can happen in games if the drive can't keep up with what the game want's to load in the background.

That said, games are optimized to primarily rely on memory for operation, which is way faster than even the fastest SSDs. A good HDD should be good enough. So for a gaming rig, I would prioritize everything else before worrying about a SSD. If you have the money though, then sure, go for it.

NEmpire95

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
In my experience very few games actually benefit from SSD's, meaning you aren't likely to see a huge performance benefit from them in game. For example Fallout 4 has very slow loading times regardless of using a hard drive or ssd (I have tried it on both and seen very little performance gain). That being said, SSD's are great if you are going to use them as a boot drive or are running programs on them like Photoshop ect. as they will greatly increase speed and boot times.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't

Can you test it again with the official high resolution texture pack?

NEmpire95

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

Is that even out yet? I would still say that VRAM and DRAM are of more importance for gaming than and SSD though aside from initial load times.

TRENDING THREADS