Are SSD's overrated?

computervegan

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
I am close to buying my new computer and was thinking about putting in an SSD along side hard drive, my question is, what sort of performance increase can I expect to see/are they worth the money?

Solution
There is no performance increase with a SSD. It's just a user experience booster.

In my opinion, a SSD is needed in every system, regardless of usage because it just makes the system so much more snappier. Vastly improves loading times or games and applications; everything opens up pretty much instantly vs a few second wait usually with a standard HDD. I would (and have) put a SSD in every system that I would ever use.

enemy1g

Honorable
There is no performance increase with a SSD. It's just a user experience booster.

In my opinion, a SSD is needed in every system, regardless of usage because it just makes the system so much more snappier. Vastly improves loading times or games and applications; everything opens up pretty much instantly vs a few second wait usually with a standard HDD. I would (and have) put a SSD in every system that I would ever use.

Solution

cklaubur

Distinguished
It depends on what you are planning to do on your computer that will determine the performance increase. Anything that does a large amount of loading from and saving to a drive (video editing, database, etc.) will greatly benefit from a SSD, but gaming won't have as large an increase in performance, since games don't rely as much on the drive.

Casey

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
imo yes boot times are ridiculously fast, load times ridiculously fast, read/write times ridiculously fast, gaming performance is awesome
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110-7.html
also, here is some articles on the subject with ssd vs hdd file copy times. i have an ssd as a boot drive and would never go back my startup time is around 5 seconds and all programs open instantly. if you are worried about storage size restrictions you could always go with a hybrid drive as well.
they have a 8gb nand flash cache and have similar performance as ssd in certain situations such as boot times and you can pick up 1tb for around $100.

Preecher

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I am using a SDD for my boot \ OS drive and once the BIOS screen goes away its about 6 seconds to login screen. I absolutely love it. I highly recommend.

As enemy 1g stated, programs don't RUN faster, they LOAD faster if installed on a SDD. I have a second drive for data (music, files, etc...) and programs that I use less frequently.

TRENDING THREADS