[SOLVED] Are such stains ok for a brand new motherboard?

mAyty

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
So I'm building a brand new PC, but it won't post (no beeps, led stuck at 'boot'). Switching ram/graphics card and remounting CPU doesn't help.

Then I noticed some stains on the motherboard, which look like traces of spilled liquid. Is it ok for a brand new motherboard to have these? Should I look for other issues?
Images

Motherboard: mag b460 tomahawk
CPU: 10400f
GPU: aorus rtx 3060 elite
PSU: pure power 11 700w
RAM: KF426C16BBK2/16

Solution
So I'm building a brand new PC, but it won't post (no beeps, led stuck at 'boot'). Switching ram/graphics card and remounting CPU doesn't help.

Then I noticed some stains on the motherboard, which look like traces of spilled liquid. Is it ok for a brand new motherboard to have these? Should I look for other issues?
Images

I'm with @USAFRet : "NEW"????

It looks like a reconditioned board to me. From experience, those are residue from spray cleaning flux deposits after hand soldering. Or, possibly worse case, complete replacement of the CPU socket with a hot air reflow machine. That, because they're all...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sometimes, oil seeps from the thermal pads(which is harmless, BTW), but uhh...
That first image does not look like the stains I'm used to seeing.
The second image looks more like it, but I'm not familiar with pads being in that area.
3 and 4 don't look like 'em either.

Might be a good idea to return the board. You may have been sent a used one.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Images

I'm with @USAFRet : "NEW"????

It looks like a reconditioned board to me. From experience, those are residue from spray cleaning flux deposits after hand soldering. Or, possibly worse case, complete replacement of the CPU socket with a hot air reflow machine. That, because they're all around the CPU socket and it's a very likely thing to have happen.

IF it does work it will probably work for a long full life since just having something soldered in after manufacturing doesn't mean it's bad on it's own. But it was reconditioned and that's not brand new. If you paid full-on new price for a brand new board I'd take it back. If you're OK with reconditioned (and you get the build working properly), settle with a partial refund if they offer it.

But if it doesn't work, cracked solder balls under the CPU socket would be a likely reason. Indicative of the same poor quality workmanship the flux cleaning is testament to.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS