[SOLVED] Are super sampling and fidelity fx the same thing

Vaibhav_Rai@

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
are both(ffx and super sampling) of them same, is ffx based on idea of super sampling or they are just totally different approaches? if they are different then how and i have just bought a new laptop with ryzen 5 5500u and i have read that ffx will support 5000 series mobile processors too so how can i benefit from it, can i use it in a little older titles like rdr2 and cod mw 1 & 2 remastered.

ps: ya i'm new to these pc things so pls help me

Solution
Older games, almost zero chance. Unless they are still in active support. I imagine most recent titles and new titles will support it, if possible in the game engine.

All anti-aliasing techniques have a performance penalty. As I mentioned before these new options have less of an impact than more traditional techniques. If you have a game running at 72 FPS average and you turn on FFX or DLSS, you now have 62 FPS. Something like MXAA might get you 56 FPS with the same rough quality (as an example, not accurate)

You always have to balance the game settings with what your system is capable of. After shadow and effects detail, AA is usually next on the chopping block.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Lots of questions here.

Firstly, FidelityFX is only a few days old in the news cycle. Not much testing has occurred, so it will be a bit before independent testing and reviews happen. Keep an eye on the tech news.

They do operate very differently. DLSS is a predictive performance saving measure that uses data from the previous frame to guess what the next frame should look like. The Deep Learning part is that this behavior is trained into the system by itself, and not really input by anyone. It is also running on bespoke hardware within the Nvidia GPU that is separate from the standard rendering pipeline.

My understanding is the FidelityFX is basically a post processing step, and is run on the same hardware as other techniques would offer. Some have compared it to DLSS 1.0, which was not widely accepted as being worthwhile over more traditional anti-aliasing techniques. I expect the same here. AMD's next stab at it will probably be more worthwhile.

Mobile processors with AMD graphics built-in, yes, should support this technology. Apparently, also anyone that wants to implement it, including Nvidia and Intel if they so chose.

Game developers will have to make the option available I believe.

Keep in mind that anything like this will have a performance impact. The idea behind DLSS and FFX is that they have LESS impact on performance while increasing some aspects of image quality. You may be better off not using this on anything but the easiest to run titles.

Last edited:
They're not. Supersampling is rendering at a higher resolution, then downscaling it to a lower one. Fidelity FX is rendering at a lower resolution then upscaling it, but using algorithms to make a better guess at what the detail should be than traditional upscaling methods.

You can use supersampling in most modern GPU via its driver options. AMD calls this feature Virtual Super Resolution, NVIDIA calls it Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR).

Whether or not you can use FidelityFX depends on the game because the developer has to actually put it in.

Reactions: Eximo

Vaibhav_Rai@

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Lots of questions here.

Firstly, FidelityFX is only a few days old in the news cycle. Not much testing has occurred, so it will be a bit before independent testing and reviews happen. Keep an eye on the tech news.

They do operate very differently. DLSS is a predictive performance saving measure that uses data from the previous frame to guess what the next frame should look like. The Deep Learning part is that this behavior is trained into the system by itself, and not really input by anyone. It is also running on bespoke hardware within the Nvidia GPU that is separate from the standard rendering pipeline.

My understanding is the FidelityFX is basically a post processing step, and is run on the same hardware as other techniques would offer. Some have compared it to DLSS 1.0, which was not widely accepted as being worthwhile over more traditional anti-aliasing techniques. I expect the same here. AMD's next stab at it will probably be more worthwhile.

Mobile processors with AMD graphics built-in, yes, should support this technology. Apparently, also anyone that wants to implement it, including Nvidia and Intel if they so chose.

Game developers will have to make the option available I believe.

Keep in mind that anything like this will have a performance impact. The idea behind DLSS and FFX is that they have LESS impact on performance while increasing some aspects of image quality. You may be better off not using this on anything but the easiest to run titles.

you said in your last line "You may be better off not using this on anything but the easiest to run titles", why so?

Vaibhav_Rai@

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
They're not. Supersampling is rendering at a higher resolution, then downscaling it to a lower one. Fidelity FX is rendering at a lower resolution then upscaling it, but using algorithms to make a better guess at what the detail should be than traditional upscaling methods.

You can use supersampling in most modern GPU via its driver options. AMD calls this feature Virtual Super Resolution, NVIDIA calls it Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR).

Whether or not you can use FidelityFX depends on the game because the developer has to actually put it in.

AMD says that they support a lot of games and developers can use it in there new upcoming games, so what are the chances that older games like mw 1 & 2 remastered or rdr2 or maybe far cry 6 will get the advantage of ffx

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Older games, almost zero chance. Unless they are still in active support. I imagine most recent titles and new titles will support it, if possible in the game engine.

All anti-aliasing techniques have a performance penalty. As I mentioned before these new options have less of an impact than more traditional techniques. If you have a game running at 72 FPS average and you turn on FFX or DLSS, you now have 62 FPS. Something like MXAA might get you 56 FPS with the same rough quality (as an example, not accurate)

You always have to balance the game settings with what your system is capable of. After shadow and effects detail, AA is usually next on the chopping block.

Reactions: Vaibhav_Rai@
Solution
you said in your last line "You may be better off not using this on anything but the easiest to run titles", why so?
To nitpick about what was said before since it looked confusing, DLSS And FidelityFX FSR render at a lower resolution. This alone can cause a substantial performance boost. Since the missing pixels when upscaling are filled in with a, by comparison, a much simpler algorithm, there's minimal performance loss for the gain you got. The trick however, is to make the final image look "good enough" when compared to an image rendered at the desired output resolution to begin with.

AMD says that they support a lot of games and developers can use it in there new upcoming games, so what are the chances that older games like mw 1 & 2 remastered or rdr2 or maybe far cry 6 will get the advantage of ffx
It depends on if the developer wants to incorporate it. I don't imagine MW1 & 2 getting it because those were simply cash grab games, plus they're relatively easy to run. RDR2 I don't imagine getting it either because it's late enough in the product life cycle. Far Cry 6 is up in the air, but considering Ubisoft stuck with NVIDIA's tech for Watch Dogs, I'd imagine they'd keep the ball rolling down that path.

Reactions: Vaibhav_Rai@