are the 64bit Sempron good?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
are they if they are them i'm gona recommand them to me friend, who foolishly brough a computer at 600 some canadian dollars and got what appears to be really crappy parts....

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 07/06/05 10:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
lol if you do them tell me, i just founded out that me friend's computer' cpu is offcially dead (looked by the guy who build it). i guess he was right about not gona let me open the computer up and examine the parts like i wanted, cut the a-hole builder says if he did then he will not warrenty it, my friend is stupid enough to not get a hard copy warenty from the dude and i'm gona guess that if the guys finds a new cpu is out of the question and tells my friend to just use it (i heard it is still useable, just making weird noises (hmm cpu fan broken? heatsink not installed correctly?)) and i'm not gona touch it w/o my friend's permission..... that is y i'm suddenly intrested in these budget but good Cpus i hope that there will be a place to getr them for the $80 that was advertised on THG... or is it american?

BTW it did not metion anything about compability with socket A and mobo or socket 754 mobo..... i'm gona hope there is a version of this for socket A lol cuz that is what my frien probelly got.... (i know i know i should have ran cpu-z on it but i didn;t get time last time i was there...)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 07/07/05 01:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i don't really think so, for example SP 2800+ runs at 2 GHZ and 64 3200 runs at 2 GHZ w socket 939, i will need to know its ording number or run cpuz

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 07/08/05 00:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

plenkor

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
If your friend insists on a prebuilt system, it might be the only thing in his price range... prices definitely go up if you want an Athlon rather than a Sempron, but usually this is because of the other components in the system being upgraded as well.

If he or she will build the system, DON'T USE A SEMPRON. Buy yourself the cheapest socket 939 mobo you can find and throw in a $150 Athlon 64 3000+. This is about the same price as the 64-bit Semprons, but you get a great upgrade path.

The thing is, Socket 754 now is a lot like Socket A was at the beginning of the year: barely a viable option for new systems, but maybe all you can get if you're on a tight budget and want to buy a box already assembled.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
yeah i know, if he wasn't insisting on paying by small payments i would have done it for him in an instant.... and i would have definatly gone with a 939..... he probelly have a socket A ATM