Are the amd fx's cpus really that bad???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killer14321

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I dont want to know that they dont beat the i5s i know this intel performence is better but amd is more bang for the buck. what i want to know are they ok for gaming. not for anything else can they run bf3 at 1080 ultra setttings with decent fps?? or should i wait tell piledriver comes out?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
the fx 6xxx will handle bf3 fine, you may have to get it off of 3.3 ghz tho, at least 4.0 ghz imo should do and is easy to get that speed. You usually don't hit a wall till around 4.4-4.7 ghz. best aftermarket budget cooler is the hypermaster 212 (evo). the stock cooler with the 6100 is pretty weak, but not as bad as intel's stock coolers.

If you go with an off-brand cooler, make sure to find a review on it, some may look the same but don't even compare to quality.

So I decided to take the plunge and retire my 1100T and persist with the *cue creepy music* FX 8150 apparently it was supposed to be slow but FPS and time taken to render is like only significantly faster than teh 1100T but yeah I guess it didn't get the memo.

I have tested hardware long enough to tell you that don't give two craps about synthetics, they are synthetics because it is artificial and its the only way Intel benchmarket their way to 80% marketshare, and the Intel users justify paying over the top.

I am still a bit amused at those that say AMD don't make performance chips, ironic that Intels DT line up is actually a beefed up mobile processor and the extremes are watered down server grade chips.....newsflash intel is not interested in DT market, they are in Mobility and Servers now. So on that I guess AMD are the only ones flogging the DT market with true desktop processors.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
better be careful saying things like that sari, people claim that is just a conspiracy.

Especially considering games are still pushed for "dual core" and only Intel sells dual core DT cpus. ( i guess you could count the A4, but I would consider those a net-top not DT.)

Intel designing cpus for specific benchmarks is just ... a conspiracy.

No the writers of synthetics do a good job of pre programming a score, basically a synthetic works like checks your systems HAL sees your hardware and attaches a value to it. I won't say what synthetic to save opinion on it, but anyways we had found a way to bypass this and tricked the synthetic in to believing the processor was a 3570K when in fact it was i5-750.........needless to say it gave the same scores...epic.

Noob, you have posted tests and screen shots of your usage with a 8120 and they are blatently denied in favor of synthetics, basically user experience is null and void. The only difference between Intel and AMD is maturity of process, Intel have been at the core efficiency architecture now for the best part of 4 years with Core I, AMD have just delved into modular design architecture. To the OP, just ignore people that tell you that AMD is usesless because basically they know jack.

Matt087_48

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
In my opinion Amds best overall gaming cpus are the Phenom II x6 1090T, and the Phenom II x4 965, both do well with games and they also are compatible with older and newer games unlike some of the Fx cpus. I know they are older cpus but they are durable and get to the point great in gaming performance. aside from the classic hammer and deneb phenom line i would go intel with any newer cpus , their i3's are impressive in gaming for what they are , and being an owner of a older sandy bridge i5 2500k i must say i know from experience why they hold their value well , i can sell my 965 phenom for more now than what i paid for it , and my i5 2500k is worth the same as what i paid for it several years ago. so depending upon your budget i would recommend these line of cpus for gaming and good overall(rendering, encoding media etc. uses

Matt087_48

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Phenom II x4s and X6s are still AMDS best cpus this is stated March 16th 2014 and i quote Amds glory in the late 2000s was then toppled by their big blunders that was known as FX (false economy)