Question Are the cables for an HX 750 platinum series compatible with HX 1000 series platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2022
Hi all, long time Tom's Hardware reader but first time poster.

I'm upgrading a power supply for a Zotac 3090 from 750 HX platinum to 1000 HX platinum. Do I need to run the new cables to all the components or can I take the existing cables and plug them into the HX 1000 PSU when I replace it?

Oct 12, 2022
Why take chances? Always use the cables that came with the new PSU, no exceptions.

I hear you! Was just curious as I had a hard time interpreting the compatibility chart and whether it's OK.
Would need the specific models and years to be certain. I agree, just use the new cables. A little extra work, but certainly the safer course.

Exact models are:

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 (CP-9020137-NA) 750W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS12V 2.92 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply (What I have)

vs.

Corsair HX Series, HX1000, 1000 Watt, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Platinum Certified, CP-9020139-NA

However I gave Corsair a call, and they were adamant about not reusing cables unless it's their modular cable packs that don't come with PSUs. However I don't know if that's just CYA since he didn't look up anything beyond my mentioning it was a hx 750 platinum to hx 1000 platinum upgrade.

Oct 12, 2022
Also is there anything I should be mindful of when replacing the power cables? My friend built my machine for me way back in 2016 and all I've done since then (other than blowing out dust) is add some hard drives. Any tutorial or best practices I should read about?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, those two would be compatible. But the HX1000 is as old as the HX750, so not really the ideal choice. Probably want to go with something more recent, particularly with a 3090 and its power spikes.

HX1200 is slightly cheaper than the HX1000 right now as well.

EVGA Supernova P6 is more recent and a little cheaper still.

HX1000i

All Platinum, there is also the EVGA Supernova T2 1000W which is even more efficient.

PSU replacement and cable management is pretty straightforward. You can probably find better video tutorials for that on YouTube.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Oct 12, 2022
Yeah, those two would be compatible. But the HX1000 is as old as the HX750, so not really the ideal choice. Probably want to go with something more recent, particularly with a 3090 and its power spikes.

HX1200 is slightly cheaper than the HX1000 right now as well.

EVGA Supernova P6 is more recent and a little cheaper still.

HX1000i

All Platinum, there is also the EVGA Supernova T2 1000W which is even more efficient.

PSU replacement and cable management is pretty straightforward. You can probably find better video tutorials for that on YouTube.

Thanks for this tip. I went back and changed my order to the HX 1200 which was indeed cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.