[SOLVED] Are the cpu and gpu usage on my pc normal ?

Oct 5, 2019
I get >60 fps on many games and neither my CPU or GPU are being 100% used, for example, on Destiny 2, i play with between 40-50 fps in some areas, VT-d, HPET, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology and Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor are disabled, also tested with them enabled and saw no difference, also energy options are on high performance on windows, nvidia control panel are also on high performance, i have the latest driver, did a fresh windows installation too.

My pc:
i7 3820
GTX 980
P9X79 PRO
8 GB Ram

Results from OpenHardwareMonitor:
Max temp on CPU: 66C
Max usage CPU: 72%
Max temp on GPU: 67C
Max usage on GPU: 63%
VRAM:1.1GB used
RAM:5.1GB used

Solution
Normal - likely so.

You do not want the CPU and GPU running at 100% because that means they are working at levels that may actually slow performance. Plus likely getting hotter, needing more cooling, etc...

If game play and other computer activities are running/performing well with good temperatures then that is what you what.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to monitor CPU and GPU performance directly while you can also see what apps, processes, and services are consuming CPU and GPU resources.

Determine what is normal for your system and then when a problem occurs you will probably be able to identify the cause very quickly.

E.g., some app presently running in the background gets a buggy update and starts grabbing more...

Ralston18

Titan
Normal - likely so.

You do not want the CPU and GPU running at 100% because that means they are working at levels that may actually slow performance. Plus likely getting hotter, needing more cooling, etc...

If game play and other computer activities are running/performing well with good temperatures then that is what you what.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to monitor CPU and GPU performance directly while you can also see what apps, processes, and services are consuming CPU and GPU resources.

Determine what is normal for your system and then when a problem occurs you will probably be able to identify the cause very quickly.

E.g., some app presently running in the background gets a buggy update and starts grabbing more of the CPU.

Remove that now buggy background app and performance returns to that nice CPU 72% level.

Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
It's a pitty you don't make use of the quadchannel ram unless you run 4x2gb (?),but guess not. Might give some more performance without really putting that much more stress on the other components.

Think that 100% usage isn't such a problem if temps are alright,which seem really fine as they are now.

CPU usage can be difficult. If a game isn't optimized to use 8 threads, then your CPU probably won't show 100% usage.

The GPU is easier. If that's at 100%, you're GPU-limited (not a bad thing, preferable in fact). If the GPU is consistently below, say, 80% usage, your CPU is holding things up. Whether that's a single thread performance limitation, or just not having enough cores varies. Also, some games (and online multiplayer) are just more CPU- bound than others.