Are the differences noticeable: GTX 1050 (2GB) + i7 7700 vs. GTX 1050 TI (4GB) + FX 6300?

The Wolf Within

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
I bought a new computer because I was sick and tired of the FX 6300 running like crap in every game I wanted to play (recently SQUAD). The video card was never a problem.

My new computer has an i7-7700, GTX 1050 2GB, 12GB DDR4.

My old one had a FX 6300, GTX 1050 TI 4GB, 8GB DDR3.

Was this a bad upgrade or is the Intel CPU upgrade worth it?

Also, I notice the i7 runs hotter on idle than my FX 6300 (according to Speccy). On idle, the FX 6300 had managed an average of 30 Celcius, while the i7 seems to be inconsistently 35-40 and randomly but rarely shoots up to 50 (might be just on startup actually), but it's mostly ~42C (with browsers open). Is that normal?

I would add that I haven't installed a case fan to blow air out and my old computer had both that and a fan that blows cold air onto the CPU. Does anyone recommend getting one at the very least that blows air out? That's all my computer case can mount.

Because my computer case is smaller than my last one, the GTX 1050 TI doesn't fit, otherwise I'd install it. If someone knows of a GPU that's the same size as the 1050 2GB, please tell me.

So what do you think?

Link to my new computer: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-gx-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-7700-2tb-hdd-12gb-ram-nvidia-geforce-gtx1050-win-10/12308198.aspx?

P.S: Yes, I know I could have built this cheaper. No, I don't know how to build computers.

P.S: My old computer had a motherboard that was only compatible with FX Series processors!

Noticeable depends on a couple of factors. One, which games are we talking about? Two, what resolution and settings do you prefer to use? Three, what is an acceptable framerate to you?

I'd rather have the i7 7700 and 1050 than the FX and a 1050 Ti, because I'd fiddle with the resolution or settings to make the game playable but there's nothing you can do if your CPU is just too slow.

Airflow would help keep temps down, but as long as temps are within acceptable range and the fans aren't blowing so hard the noise bothers you, why do you care if they are a few degrees higher?

The Wolf Within

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

I refuse to play anything less than 1080p. The last game I tried to play was SQUAD. My GPU was never the problem. It was the FX CPU. Literally no game seems to make use of more than one core, and only care about single core performance...

I only want 60 FPS minimum. My refresh rate is 60 FPS. That's why anything above doesn't matter to me.

I don't care about graphic settings. I couldn't run Squad at lowest settings without the game shooting down to 10-15FPS in some areas. And when more players join, it's a nightmare. That sounds to me a CPU issue, not a GPU issue.

I haven't tested any games out right now because I want to install a case fan.

I just don't want my CPU to get damaged, it's expensive... I hear these CPUs run really hot when playing games. I don't think the FX 6300 ran too hot.

Get a 10606gb you'll be able to get the most out of the card and play max settings at 1080p @60fps. If you get a 1050ti you'll be able to do the sam but at lower settings and you may get frame drops. The i7 7700 is paired better with the 1060 you'll be happy you did it's a great 1080p card I've had them both.