Question are the fastest graphics cards only needed for gaming?

Jul 14, 2022
Hello all:

i am looking into building a new PC, but I dont play games, i do software development, automation, run VMs, etc. Due to the VMs i need lots of RAM and disk space, and Ive been looking at the Intel 12900 processor and GeForce RTX 3090, and now see the 13900 and 4090 have released, but i am not sure what i really need. I use 3 32" 4k monitors, but do they really need the power of the high-end graphics cards? I do a lot of work with AI like image processing, but most of the heavy lifting is done by Azure, so again, not sure if that taxes the video card.

Anyway, any input is greatly appreciated.

Oct 13, 2022
You don't really need a powerful graphics card to output 3 4k displays as long as it has 3 4k capable ports. I'm not sure what kind of AI processing you're doing but if its heavily reliant on gpu power then I suggest going for a 4090 assuming it fits your budget

Jul 14, 2022
You don't really need a powerful graphics card to output 3 4k displays as long as it has 3 4k capable ports. I'm not sure what kind of AI processing you're doing but if its heavily reliant on gpu power then I suggest going for a 4090 assuming it fits your budget

Thanks for the response. I build AI models for object detection, image analysis, etc. but all on Azure so i think the processsing is done in thw cloud, not on my desktop. I currently use a Surface book and it never chokes on the models, but it cannot run VMs, not enough disk or RAM.
Are AMD and Nvidia cards pretty comparable for performance?

Oct 13, 2022
Thanks for the response. I build AI models for object detection, image analysis, etc. but all on Azure so i think the processsing is done in thw cloud, not on my desktop. I currently use a Surface book and it never chokes on the models, but it cannot run VMs, not enough disk or RAM.
Are AMD and Nvidia cards pretty comparable for performance?

Since all the compute is done on the cloud any card from AMD or Nvidia that has 3 displayports will do. As for performance it depends on which specific card and I cannot say for sure which is better than which but if you're comparing a similar level gpu from both they shouldn't be too far apart in terms of performance. You should worry less about the graphics card and focus on getting a better cpu and more ram.