Are the new intel cpus worth for gaming?

DallasClarke87

Reputable
Jun 30, 2016
Ive looked at many videos of the new cpus and are they really worth for gaming? cause it seems that the 7700k can keep up quite well and ive seen a lot of people with 6600k saying theyre fine with their cpu right now, is the 6600k really good? Thanks

Solution
Games up to today dont really need more than 4 cores. A very few games takes advantage from having more than 4 cores.

But take the new 8700k. Now you do not need it today. But lets say 2-3 years from now, with Ryzen having all the cores also. Programs and games should be getting coded in sutch a way that they will make use of the extra cores.

But by then both Intel and AMD will have released new CPU`s that is better than the ones you can get today.

So yes an 6600k or an 7700k is more than enough today.
If you're wanting an Intel build then yes they're the way to go. But if you would consider an AMD build then Ryzen 5 1600 is a great CPU for the money when paired with a decent priced B350 motherboard.

I'm really liking the i5-8400 though, it seems to be (nearly) as fast as an i7-7700(K) for only $189. But the only thing is you have to buy a Z370 motherboard as of right now. But at least they're good motherboards, just a little expensive.

Games up to today dont really need more than 4 cores. A very few games takes advantage from having more than 4 cores.

But take the new 8700k. Now you do not need it today. But lets say 2-3 years from now, with Ryzen having all the cores also. Programs and games should be getting coded in sutch a way that they will make use of the extra cores.

But by then both Intel and AMD will have released new CPU`s that is better than the ones you can get today.

So yes an 6600k or an 7700k is more than enough today.

Solution

DallasClarke87

Reputable
Jun 30, 2016

so just for future proofing 8700k is prob the best to go?

6-8th gen are all the same architecture and just refreshes so ipc is similar. Generation numbers are just marketing. Where the 8th gen sets itself apart is the price per cores now that they finally added more at the same price points. With a new build, you'd just be spending more for less with the previous gens. The cheaper z370 mobos are ~120 so it's not like it's very expensive. You should always go for the best you can afford. It's cheaper in the long run when you don't have to upgrade as often.

DallasClarke87

Reputable
Jun 30, 2016

yea niether do i but didnt know how to word it

TRENDING THREADS