[SOLVED] Are the Nvidia "reference" cards still being produced?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I know that Nvidia and Best Buy had some manner of agreement where the reference cards were sold (only) there?

Obviously there is no stock. The web page shows sold out with original MSRP pricing. Going in store nets the eye roll. I feel sort of silly even asking, but are those cards still being produced at all? Does Best Buy get them still?

Solution
I know that Nvidia and Best Buy had some manner of agreement where the reference cards were sold (only) there?

Obviously there is no stock. The web page shows sold out with original MSRP pricing. Going in store nets the eye roll. I feel sort of silly even asking, but are those cards still being produced at all? Does Best Buy get them still?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

WOW...

I had been watching that live stream on the tube regarding stock levels....
I guess I am going to have to make a clone of myself to just sit on BB website, lol. Those things are moving fast. Good on them for not gouging.

Thank you.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Founder's Edition cards and Reference cards are not exactly the same thing for clarification.

There are 'reference' boards that you will find in lower end cards, typically blower style cards, and some OEM cards. At least for the 3070 and above. I believe like previous generations the 3060 and below do not get a reference design from Nvida.

Reactions: punkncat

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I gave up last month.
Best Buy had cards coming in on one day(M-F), every 2-3 weeks, mainly in the morning of 11-1CST.
There would be 'waves' of 2-3 'drops' on that day, between 5- 45mins apart.

I'll tell you now, the 3090 FE, if it's still in production, is the 'easiest' FE model to get from them...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Founder's Edition cards and Reference cards are not exactly the same thing for clarification.

There are 'reference' boards that you will find in lower end cards, typically blower style cards, and some OEM cards. At least for the 3070 and above. I believe like previous generations the 3060 and below do not get a reference design from Nvida.

Yes, I believe I was looking for the Founders Edition as the correct term. I am in no rush or anything, but specifically want a 3070 or 3080 FE for a build. I would really like to actually SEE the 3080 before deciding.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I gave up last month.
Best Buy had cards coming in on one day(M-F), every 2-3 weeks, mainly in the morning of 11-1CST.
There would be 'waves' of 2-3 'drops' on that day, between 5- 45mins apart.

I'll tell you now, the 3090 FE, if it's still in production, is the 'easiest' FE model to get from them...

If I were inclined to have a partner card, the MicroCenter(s) here in town have a pretty regular stock of various 30xx cards come in. They are both WELL marked up, but also will not allow reservation and it's an hour plus drive across town for me. I have no inclination to camp out quite yet.

DSzymborski

Titan
If you're going to digitally camp for a GPU or a CPU, you'll either need to set up software like streetmerchant or monitor one of the streams like Falcodrin on Twitch. That's the only way I got my GPU and CPU at MSRP (Newegg alert, then an AMD.com alert). Lots of people in Falcodrin's stream landed Best Buy cards after drops; I was close a few times but didn't close on one until a 7:30 PM NewEgg drop, back before they were doing the shuffle.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've been casually trying Newegg shuffle for the last few weeks. Nothing yet.

They keep putting up the pre-water blocked cards and I keep going for those along with any card I know has an EK block for it. XSPC bowed out this cycle, so I can't keep my preferred style.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
My mistake, all FE models have a limited time run - a year?

Dang...I recall in the past that the Founders cards were always hard to find a bit after release. I am of the hope that the current situation would have them make them a bit longer. At the same time, there isn't a 'lack' of cards produced, it's the inability to get one.
If it comes down to having to go used and the current mining situation I will probably just choose to wait it out.

DSzymborski

Titan
It does, anecdotally, feel like they're putting more behind this run of Founder's Edition cards than in the past. Redesigning the cooler, and Best Buy has been back in stock every couple weeks. Past FEs seemed more like afterthoughts, but that could also be an impression gained from the ease of getting AIB partner GPUs in the past.

Reactions: punkncat
Dang...I recall in the past that the Founders cards were always hard to find a bit after release. I am of the hope that the current situation would have them make them a bit longer. At the same time, there isn't a 'lack' of cards produced, it's the inability to get one.
If it comes down to having to go used and the current mining situation I will probably just choose to wait it out.
With a name like "Founder's Edition", I feel like the cards were meant to be a limited release run.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I was at home for 4 best buy drops first 2 only got to processing............ next time got past that to add to cart then it turned gray next time got to click on add to cart then it was gone.

Got the congrats Email from Newegg 2 times. First time I was past the time frame when I got home and 2nd time I was watching the Email went to the site and it said 1 or more items have been removed from your cart because of availability.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I was at home for 4 best buy drops first 2 only got to processing............ next time got past that to add to cart then it turned gray next time got to click on add to cart then it was gone.

Got the congrats Email from Newegg 2 times. First time I was past the time frame when I got home and 2nd time I was watching the Email went to the site and it said 1 or more items have been removed from your cart because of availability.

Ouch, dang. Adding insult to injury.