[SOLVED] Are the parent network and the sub-network of a Wireless extender/repeater under the same network?

ArjunY

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
Specifically speaking, I wished to ask, that can the devices connected to the separate network of a Wireless Repeater/Extender access the devices that are connected to the Parent Network directly, especially when their names are different?

Say, the main networks in their respective bandwidths are called 'NET' and 'NET_5G', and after configuring an extender/repeater, one names the networks coming off that Extender as 'NET_EXT' and 'NET_5G_EXT', so can the devices connected to the Extender access the devices connected to the parent network (such as wireless printers etc). While in my scenario it's working, it's only because I chose to keep the same name as the parent network instead of opting for something new.

I'd be glad if someone could clarify this doubt of mine. :D

Solution
The SSID is irrelevant in this case. You can use a unique SSID for each extender and you are still connected to the same IP range on the same network.

That said hand off capability is often dependent on the extender having the same SSID. This is a protocol which will say "Device X is looking for connect to SSID "MyNetwork". We have two base stations broadcasting "MyNetwork" with the same access key. Which one is stronger? Connect to that one.

With unique SSID's you can segment network bandwidth. For example my Alexa devices are connected to channel 1 "NoSpyOnMe" SSID (I have a guest subnet just for Alexa/Google devices which allows me to do this). With 1 SSID, every device in the house picks the base station that is best...
The SSID is irrelevant in this case. You can use a unique SSID for each extender and you are still connected to the same IP range on the same network.

That said hand off capability is often dependent on the extender having the same SSID. This is a protocol which will say "Device X is looking for connect to SSID "MyNetwork". We have two base stations broadcasting "MyNetwork" with the same access key. Which one is stronger? Connect to that one.

With unique SSID's you can segment network bandwidth. For example my Alexa devices are connected to channel 1 "NoSpyOnMe" SSID (I have a guest subnet just for Alexa/Google devices which allows me to do this). With 1 SSID, every device in the house picks the base station that is best for them, ensuring mobile devices have the fastest available connection no matter where they are.

So you have to pick your poison.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Specifically speaking, I wished to ask, that can the devices connected to the separate network of a Wireless Repeater/Extender access the devices that are connected to the Parent Network directly, especially when their names are different?

Say, the main networks in their respective bandwidths are called 'NET' and 'NET_5G', and after configuring an extender/repeater, one names the networks coming off that Extender as 'NET_EXT' and 'NET_5G_EXT', so can the devices connected to the Extender access the devices connected to the parent network (such as wireless printers etc). While in my scenario it's working, it's only because I chose to keep the same name as the parent network instead of opting for something new.

I'd be glad if someone could clarify this doubt of mine. :D
It will depend on the extender. As long as the IP address of the device connected to the extender is the same subnet (first three sets of digits) as the main network, they should be able to communicate.

On some access points, such as my Engenius wifi access point, you can turn WIFI CLIENT ISOLATION on or off. With it turned on, no wifi device could communicate with anything but the internet. Meaning it couldn't connect to any internal LAN addresses, or any other wifi device on the network. It could only connect to the main gateway and out to the internet.

This was especially useful if you have it set up in a coffee shop or something. It would prevent hackers from getting onto your computer when connecting to the same wifi. However, many hackers at coffee shops will create their own wifi that mimics your access point, then unsuspecting people will log into their fake access point and the hacker will steal credit card information as you use it.