Question Are the parts i ordered good guys?

kostas1127

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2015
So it seems my pc is feeling quite old and cant keep up with multi tasking and gaming so i want to upgrade my mobo,ram and cpu and also my psu cause it seems to be failing.
My pc now is
i5 4690 stock
8gb ram 2x4gb ddr3 1600
rx 570 nitro+ sapphire
msi b85m g43
coolermaster b500 ver2.

So sadly my local store doesnt have a corsair cx 550 grey that some people told me to buy and they only had the corsair vs 550 and the thermal take smart rgb 700w. My pc is arelady causing my pc to restart on load so i already ordered the thermal take one. Also my cpu is very weak and causes stuttering and bottleneck in games like bf5 and r6 siege. I ordered an asrock b450m pro4, 2x8GB RAM Ripjaws gskill 3200mhz , and an ryzen 5 2600. Are those parts good? They were all on sale and it was the right change to get them. Are they compatible and also will i see a great difference in multitasking and gaming from my i5 4690 and 8gb ram? Also will the ryzen 5 2600 bottleneck my rx 570 like my i5 did? Thank you in advance. Also does the ryzen consume more power than the i5 4690?

recordsrecorded

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
PCPartPicker tends to be very good on parts compatibility. Only real note I can think of is that if you're using AMD you really do want to make sure the memory specifically says it's compatible with Ryzen. As well Ryzen cpus are usually benefit more from faster speeds. 3200 is fine, I'd opt for 3600 though. (Checked on PCPartPicker, you should be fine didn't come up with any issues.)

Bottlenecking can come from a lot of things though, as well be mistaken for others. Internet speed, latency from ISP, wifi latency, streaming, having certain things in the background like a ton of game launchers, anti-virus software updating or trying to block applications. Even the resolution you game on could end up bottlenecking. Why people don't play at 1080p has always been something I don't understand, some graphics cards will also bottleneck at 1080p and really start to perform at 1440p. Though this is really moreso for the newest cards. 1660, 2060, 2070, 2080, 570, 580 all have tests out to prove such. In my opinion it sounds more or less like you had a ram issue, especially if you're playing siege, running discord and have chrome open with a few tabs. Going from 8 to 16gb of ram you'll see a massive difference an notice you don't feel the need to close chrome anymore. A final rambling note... If you play Escape From Tarkov, don't play spotify at the same time. Don't know why it causes so much lag, but god it does. And it's things like that which can cause something that just looks like a bottleneck.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
4690 is still a great CPU still despite it's age. Not sure what bottlenecks you're encountering, I still run practically everything on my 4690k. Wouldn't have thought the non-k model should hold you back that much.

Personally I wouldn't touch the Cooler Master B series with a barge pole. But you should see improvements with the new Ryzen. If I'm not mistaken the 4690 power is 84W, the Ryzen 2600 is around 77W.

kostas1127

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2015
the i5 4690 is okay but problem is when i want to have discord + r6 siege it lags and i hear stutters and i cant use it effectively cause it maxes out my cpu. Its not only about the cpu performance but also multitasking i was to game and also alt tab to see something you know?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think some of you failed to see this - which I say is the most important
Just to clarify - I didn't fail to see it - but you'd already mentioned it. So I felt no need to repeat it. But i completely understand your point.

But to clarify - I do agree, the Ryzen can still handle better than the 570.
Just depends on what way OP means it, the 4690 can handle a bit better than the 570 (4G) also IMO! But obviously depends on the application. Generally they're a decent match from what I see.

Last edited: