Are there any extreme cases concerning permissions granted to mobile apps ?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I understand that, for example, normally, permission for accessing pictures and videos are because within the apps user may want to upload their pictures or videos, but is there any case found so far that the apps will make a copy of your pictures and videos to their server without user's consent?

For example, the user never attempts to upload or send any pictures within the apps but the apps "steal" the pictures. Does Google Play or Apple iOS test their
apps in this way ? This is something I am often worried about when granting access.

Ralston18

Titan
My thoughts:

When you "grant access" it is very difficult to really know what you have allowed. The legal wording, fine, print, and other "caveats" most likely allow the grantee (the person or entity that you give rights to) the ability to do almost anything.

So no matter what the ads, webpages, etc. say, it is the EUA (End User Agreement) that really rules.

And even online EUAs (where you click "I Agree") often have a link somewhere that basically opens the door for the grantee.

Not "stealing" if you agreed to the EUA terms. Knowingly or unknowingly.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
My thoughts:

When you "grant access" it is very difficult to really know what you have allowed. The legal wording, fine, print, and other "caveats" most likely allow the grantee (the person or entity that you give rights to) the ability to do almost anything.

So no matter what the ads, webpages, etc. say, it is the EUA (End User Agreement) that really rules.

And even online EUAs (where you click "I Agree") often have a link somewhere that basically opens the door for the grantee.

Not "stealing" if you agreed to the EUA terms. Knowingly or unknowingly.

How about apps on iOS? Will it be better than Android's for the issue I am concerned about?

USAFRet

Titan
There are many many apps, on both platforms, that say one thing and do many other things.

Just a sample:

https://us.norton.com/internetsecur...code-malware-hiding-in-google-play-store.html

TRENDING THREADS