Question Are there any good programs to find stop hidden processes overloading CPU pls anyone

TimEJ

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
Are there any good programs to find stop hidden processes overloading CPU pls anyone

My PC (win7 Lenovo T520) has been on nearly 100% CPU usage (up and down), for hours, some yesterday, some today.

I tried restarting it, closing all in task manager 'processes' that seemed to be a problem

Basically Task manager says there is nothing running to take this much CPU, but the CPU has been maxed out for hours.

It must be a hidden process, are there any good programs to find what ever it is taking the power and stop it please if anyone knows

TimEJ

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
Hi Obakasama thx, yea Ive got AVG free installed I ran the scan and it said all was fine

Poor computer CPU is bouncig between 51-60% CPU now its working hard... at something, its probably mining for bitcoin for someone

I just wish there was a simple program that would just be able to show what It was working at and terminate the process

Try Malware Bytes as well for malware.

I have heard that some of those miners hide when people check in Task Manager, so this behaviour seems a bit odd. Worth checking anyway. I assume you've also clicked to order the processes just to see if you could find the suspect ones?

TimEJ

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
Yes I did, comps started working fine now, not sure if it will continue to

My thoughts are it might just be having a break so I dont spend the time to fix it and remove their virus. you know, just to trick me into not dealing with it so they can contine their clandestine opperation on my PC

but also might just be ok from now :)

Thx for your messages...

I will probably report back at some point

TimEJ

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
I can already report back, it started again last night after I wrote

Im going to try malwarebytes,

I ran another virus checker last night; it found nothing

Its on solid 100% now :) (but says in task manager that the program taking up most CPU is Task Manager)

In safe mode writing this, I gave up trying with the CPU like that, darn stressful business :)

Seems to have a pattern:
Morning to 5/6ish CPU is maxed out

Then:
6 - 10 ish PM working fine

then 10 - ? starts to max out again

Both days it's done the same, It would be OK if I didnt need to use it, basically I may have to buy a new one

any ideas pls anyone

TimEJ

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
Thanks

If anybody else has any ideas pls let me know

Im working through the list above, but none of the simple has worked

Process hacker denies access to change any of the processes maxing CPU :)

plus I have to do this all with the CPU at 100 :) flip

Last edited: