[SOLVED] Are there any good ways of mounting without using mounting holes?

Ryethegret

Reputable
May 9, 2015
I'm building in an old chieftech case (not sure what model it is and I'm trying to mount two 80 mm fans at the back of the case. However, the case has screw holes that don't line up with the holes on a normal case fan. Here is a pitcure:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10Kw2Z9mS7hNAWW9CUiRsKLr4_wtwjbzC

Also, the screw holes on the case are rectangular so even if they did line up the screws wouldn't hold them in place. At first I tried using small Velcro strips at each corner of the fans but I checked inside after a while and they had both fallen off. Originally the case would have plastic mounts for the fans which is why the mount holes are so wierd but I only have one of those and they're a bright lilac for some reason. I could use cable ties I guess but they would look really unappealing so does anyone have any ideas for another way to mount the fans?

Solution
Hold the fan to the back wall, rotated at 45 degrees.
Mark the holes with a pencil, drill.
No 'math' needed.

And yes, you need to take all the stuff OUT before you start drilling. Metal shavings will go all over.
Glue? You'll need some method to hold the fan in place while the glue dries.

Ryethegret

Reputable
May 9, 2015
Anything except very detailed DIY will look....'unappealing '.
How are your DIY skills?
Are you married to this particular case? Why?
I'm determined enough to do some DIY but I wouldn't say I'm particularly skilled at it unfortunately. I had to drill some holes in the case for the other fans but these ones at the back won't allow me to do that. Also I'm banking on the fact that it will look really cool on the inside and kind of underwhelming from the outside.

Ryethegret

Reputable
May 9, 2015
Why can't you drill new holes in the back?

If those square holes are in the way, offset the fan a bit to the side and make new holes.
I can't do new ones in the back because there are pronounced areas of metal in the areas where I would need to drill. I suppose I could rotate the fans like 40 degrees and drill new holes in that orientation but are you sure there aren't any other ways I could do this because I know I said I was determined but rebuilding the entire PC just for the back two fans would take me a day or so not to mention all the maths I would need to do to get fan holes rotated at 40 degrees. Maybe I could just use glue or something because I doubt I'll ever need to take them out. I'm open to any ideas.

USAFRet

Titan
No 'math' needed.

And yes, you need to take all the stuff OUT before you start drilling. Metal shavings will go all over.

Solution

Ryethegret

Reputable
May 9, 2015
No 'math' needed.

So I ended up using some gorilla glue in each corner of the fans and I've palced them at a slight angle so there is enough surface area for the glue to stick to. Also I just needed to have the case with the back to the ground for the glue to dry. I don't imagine that I'll need to take these fans out but if I do need to a chisel and a bit of force should do the job.

Thanks for your time USAFRet, I'm glad you could help!

Jamie