[SOLVED] Are there any manufacturers making 5.25 bay I/O with USB 3.2 ports and card reader?

Feb 18, 2021
Looking for best transfer speeds on reading SD cards and also gaining a few extra USB 3.2 ports. Any recommendations would be welcome, all I can see out there is 3.0.

Solution
You may be caught up in the USB 3 system naming changes. Right now ALL of them are USB 3.2, but three Gen's of them.

USB 3.2 Gen1 is the original USB 3 that can transfer data up to 5 Gb/s and uses either the new USB3 version of a Type A or Type B connector, OR the newer Type C connector. The mobo header for these (two ports on one mobo header) is much bigger than the older USB2 header, and typically the cable that plugs into that has a large blue connector.

USB3.2 Gen2 is the faster version that can do data transfer up to 10 Gb/s. Although technically it can work with a Type A connector, it is recommended that you use a Type C connector to be sure of that speed. The mobo for this looks quite different and is called a Type E socket...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You may be caught up in the USB 3 system naming changes. Right now ALL of them are USB 3.2, but three Gen's of them.

USB 3.2 Gen1 is the original USB 3 that can transfer data up to 5 Gb/s and uses either the new USB3 version of a Type A or Type B connector, OR the newer Type C connector. The mobo header for these (two ports on one mobo header) is much bigger than the older USB2 header, and typically the cable that plugs into that has a large blue connector.

USB3.2 Gen2 is the faster version that can do data transfer up to 10 Gb/s. Although technically it can work with a Type A connector, it is recommended that you use a Type C connector to be sure of that speed. The mobo for this looks quite different and is called a Type E socket requiring a different cable connector. There are some consumer devices that can use data transfer at rates between 5 and 10 Gb/s.

USB3.2 Gen2x2 is the latest version that can do data up to 20 Gb/s, and can only be used with a Type C connector. I believe it also uses the Type E mobo socket. Right now I do not believe there are any consumer devices that can transfer data this fast.

My search found no modules like you describe, either. And none of them use this new naming convention. Some use the previous convention of USB 3.1 for what is now the USB 3.2 Gen1 connections, and some are still calling that USB3. Those usually had both Type A and Type C sockets on the panel, and often had separate USB 2 sockets and cables,too. I found ONE unit that had a USB 3.2 Gen2 cable with the Type E connector on the mobo end and a Type A socket on the panel, as well as a cable and Type A sockets for USB 3.2 Gen1, but it did not have any card reader in it. It was named as a "USB 3.2" module.

Solution
Feb 18, 2021
Thanks paperdoc, I did do my research and was aware of the versions and speeds. Wikipedia is a good place for the full spec. Researching further it looks like we probably wont see usb3.2 front panel I/O as Intel is now integrating thunderbolt 3 on chip and made it royalty free to allow release of USB 4, so most likely manufactures will jump straight to USB4 as controller chip is not required making manufacturing cheaper. Looks like I will wait until we see USB4 panels running at 20gb/s. I have an ASRock B550M motherboard so want to make full use of onboard USB3.2 gen1 Headers and I need a good card reader for fast transfers.

Last edited: