[SOLVED] Are there any motherboards with 4 m.2 slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
The reason why I want to do away with slower drives, although I won't completely get away from the need of slow drives

So are there any motherboards with 4 m.2 slots?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You probably need thread ripper to run 4 nvme, i know you didn't mention raid but i know you need tr to get it to work on 4 NVME. Its a question of rails.
there are ASUS pci ecards that will hold up to 4 nvme as well.

There are pcie adapter cards that can hold 4 m.2 drives.

That said, ANY SSD will be better than any hard drive.
Actual perceived performance differences between m.2 and 2.5" or pcie vs. sata are actuallly minimal.
The big benefit of a SSD is minimal latency, and that is similar among all of them.
Yes, pcie drives are faster in sequential benchmarks, but there is very little of that in normal operations.
There is a youtube video showing perhaps a 1 second difference in game load times.

Then, there is no difference in performance between two 1tb ssd devices and a single 2tb ssd.
If you need more storage, buy a larger ssd in the first place.

I'd be careful...the tech specs say three of the M.2's are fed 4 lanes each from the CPU...up to gen 4. Only way that seems possible is if stealing 8 lanes from the GPU's socket so you'll end up with 8 lanes for it. Might work out well enough if they're 8 gen 4 lanes (both CPU and GPU gen 4) since that would be same effective bandwidth as 16 gen 3 lanes.

The fourth is fed from the chipset, gen 3, which makes sense.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Status
Not open for further replies.