Are there any problems or recommendations you can see with this system build?

samanthacolligan28

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Hey everyone.

I recently have saved up £1700 to build my own gaming computer for gaming and streaming in the future and I have put together a quick set of parts which I am going to need to buy. I did this part list at like 2am one morning so I wanted to make this post making sure everything is compatible and also to make sure that I am getting the most out of my money which I am spending. So thats were you all come in, if there is any recommendations or things I should change considering this build then please let me know because obviously this is a very expensive build and I would not want to waste the money I am spending, thank you. A screen-shot of the part list is provided at the imgur link below.

https://imgur.com/a/XMgbafV

Solution
A few recommendations:

1. If you're looking to stream, I'd HIGHLY recommend going for the 2700X. The extra 2 cores/4 threads can be pretty useful, plus it's less expensive.

2. That CPU cooler won't do you any good. The 8700k runs pretty hot, ESPECIALLY if you OC it. If you do go for the 8700k, invest in a better cooler (possibly the Dark Rock 4/Pro 4).

3. That PSU and SSD are horribly overpriced. NVME drives are a waste of money in most cases, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You can get an 860 evo (still a good SSD) of the same capacity for HALF the price.

Here's the AMD build I'd recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor (£275.94...
A few recommendations:

1. If you're looking to stream, I'd HIGHLY recommend going for the 2700X. The extra 2 cores/4 threads can be pretty useful, plus it's less expensive.

2. That CPU cooler won't do you any good. The 8700k runs pretty hot, ESPECIALLY if you OC it. If you do go for the 8700k, invest in a better cooler (possibly the Dark Rock 4/Pro 4).

3. That PSU and SSD are horribly overpriced. NVME drives are a waste of money in most cases, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You can get an 860 evo (still a good SSD) of the same capacity for HALF the price.

Here's the AMD build I'd recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor (£275.94 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£156.46 @ More Computers)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£160.71 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£83.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB iCX GAMING Video Card (£523.77 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case (£109.19 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£90.46 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1400.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-16 00:00 BST+0100

Found a significantly cheaper 1080 Ti as well.

Even if you stick with intel, I'd still recommend using the SSD, PSU, RAM, and GPU from the AMD list. Let me know what you think.

Solution

samanthacolligan28

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Actually what I think I will do is go with profoundnoah regarding everything except for the CPU because I did some research and the i7 8700k generally has better general performance, and I have that extra money to spend with that left over money with this new build. I will ditch the m.2 ssd and go with a 860 PRO and also I will get the Dark Rock Pro 4 and also that ram kit and also that PSU you provided. I will paste a link to an edited version of the pc part picker link so you could run it over one last time :)

omegadoom13

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

A 2nd monitor if you don't already have one. Will most likely be useful if steaming and gaming.
or a better gaming monitor

The main value of a 860 PRO is longer endurance.
With today's large ssd's, endurance is not an issue.
The devices will be long obsolete before they wear out860 EVO should cost you less.

samanthacolligan28

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

Dont worry, already have a second monitor its just literally based on my current pc specs on why I cant stream right now pretty well.

samanthacolligan28

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

I would but this is a birthday present for me, my birthday is in September and I also have to build it. Dont really want to wait personally.

samanthacolligan28

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

The 860 PRO part was actually a typo on my part, sorry about - I meant 860 evo like you recommended. Oops.