[SOLVED] Are there any restrictions to transforming a very old desktop?

Helpmeplease345

Commendable
Jul 25, 2019
Hi there, I have a question. I know NOTHING about computers and have never done anything of that sort, but I am trying to get into PC gaming. A friend is giving me a desktop with a very old i7-2600 processor that still seems very good. It has 8 GB ram, and integrated graphics. If I were to simply add an extra 8 GB ram and a dedicated graphics card, would I turn this into a beast PC for an insane budget, or is it too good to be true, and there is some restriction that my tiny brain can't notice?
Any help is appreciated.

Solution
The motherboard will be the biggest factor. Provided it's not some OEM (HP, Lenovo etc) then there shouldn't be any limitations beyond the PSU aspect.

Helpmeplease345

Commendable
Jul 25, 2019
On a budget, I wouldn't start with more RAM. Add a GPU, probably need to replace the PSU too.
Adding an SSD, if it doesn't already have one, would be a great addition too. An i7-2600 is still plenty capable.
True, I only need 8GB ram. I definitely agree with everything else too. Not sure how it works, but if I were to get a GPU on it would there be any restrictions or such - the computer is very old (2012), would it not be able to run some graphics cards? If so, what GPU would you recommend?