[SOLVED] Are there any Ryzen 3400G Mini-ITX Motherboards that are compatible straight out of the box?

TempTop

Prominent
Mar 9, 2020
Without updating the BIOS, are there any Mini-ITX motherboards that are compatible with a Ryzen 3400G?

Solution
There is virtually no risk. Considering how most PC Hardware was sold out everywhere (especially GPUs and PSUs) during early in Coronavirus, the chances of purchasing a B450 board now that has been sitting on the shelf long enough to need a BIOS update is extremely low. 2 months ago I built a 3200G based system with a Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Mini ITX board and I didn't even give it a second thought and sure enough it worked right out of the box.

Chances of you buying a board thats been sitting on a shelf for a year are tremendously low, not even worth worrying about.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro WIFI (AMD Ryzen 3000/X570/Mini-Itx/PCIe4.0/DDR4/USB 3.1/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/Gaming Motherboard)

google it. forum wont let me post links. smh

Furzumz

Reputable
Except the update isn't easy when the board won't post with the unsupported cpu in order for you to perform the update.

Right, forgot about that part :sweatsmile:

Don't some companies offer temporary CPU's for free for update purposes as long as you return them? I thought I saw MSI offering a particular low end processor specifically for bios update use for my mobo when I was digging around their site.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
It's pretty easy. If you can afford it: get a mobo with BIOS flash.

If not, go to/call your local computer store like a normal logical adult would do. They'll help you flash it with their own compatible CPU, CPU cooler, and RAM for $10 or less. At my local PC repair store: FREE.

It's pretty easy. If you can afford it: get a mobo with BIOS flash.

If not, go to/call your local computer store like a normal logical adult would do. They'll help you flash it with their own compatible CPU, CPU cooler, and RAM for $10 or less. At my local PC repair store: FREE.
You are assuming far too much.

The op might not have many/any pc stores local.
Not every store offers this service.
And assuming every store on planet earth will do this for $10 or less is flat out wrong.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
You are assuming far too much.

The op might not have many/any pc stores local.
Not every store offers this service.
And assuming every store on planet earth will do this for $10 or less is flat out wrong.
"Might not have"
But he also might have local stores near him. Not everyone's hopeless. If OP wants something, he's more than welcome to every suggestion and possibilities with his given situation which by the way is not given.

TempTop

Prominent
Mar 9, 2020
@NightHawkRMX It's pretty much the same conclusion I arrived at after scouring PCPartPicker and 10+ motherboard website CPU Support listings. I either spend $160-200+ on an X570 that supports Ryzen 3000 (the market is a bit high right now) or I update the BIOS on a B450. Which will (usually) require an earlier chipset to complete the BIOS update, which means I'll need a temporary CPU from the Motherboard manufacturer, or I'll try to have it done at a local shop (which also varies in price and availability).

However, you can use a Ryzen 2400G which is compatible with mostly every B450 MOBO; it has Vega 11 Graphics (just like the 3400G), and you'll only suffer about a 5-7 FPS loss on most titles. So if you're in need of a cheaper Mini-ITX B450 MOBO for a portable build and don't mind the FPS loss, that's the best choice. You can get them used on eBay for about $120-130.

I posted because my friend has a spare 3400G and wanted to make a portable LAN build, so I was trying to shortcut the research process by asking.

Last edited:
The chances at in your favor that any b450 board you buy new at this point in time would come with the BIOS updated to support a 3400g.

The 3400g came out over a year ago, so the majority of b450 boards produced after its release should have bios support for the 3400g.

TempTop

Prominent
Mar 9, 2020
The chances at in your favor that any b450 board you buy new at this point in time would come with the BIOS updated to support a 3400g.

The 3400g came out over a year ago, so the majority of b450 boards produced after its release should have bios support for the 3400g.

Hopefully, and I see why, but it's a bit of a risk -- because if you buy it and it's not compatible that means you're either returning it, or you're at the mercy of the local shops.

I might decide to cut costs by going with a slightly larger case and using a Micro-ATX instead of Mini-ITX. You can get boards that are V1 compatible with 3400G starting at $70-80, this I already knew. Plus the cost of the smaller PSU's are also dissuading, I know some smaller cases come with the PSU included, but if not then it's an additional $70 for even a basic 400W.

I was originally going with a SilverStone ML08B-H and a Mini-ITX, but I just wanted a Mini-ITX that was going to work straight out of the box with no fuss. But I just don't know which one to use that's not an X570. If I had a guarantee that a certain B450 would work straight out of the box I'd use that one.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There is virtually no risk. Considering how most PC Hardware was sold out everywhere (especially GPUs and PSUs) during early in Coronavirus, the chances of purchasing a B450 board now that has been sitting on the shelf long enough to need a BIOS update is extremely low. 2 months ago I built a 3200G based system with a Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Mini ITX board and I didn't even give it a second thought and sure enough it worked right out of the box.

Chances of you buying a board thats been sitting on a shelf for a year are tremendously low, not even worth worrying about.

Solution