Are there any strip down reassemble HDD enclosures out there?

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
So ive come across the typical external HDD thats so common, ive come across the external drive docks, and then of course the hot swap bays.

My problem with two of those things is i have yet to see a hot swap bay that has any form of cooling and imo is meant to be used as a drive bay until you decide to use another drive.

My other problem is with these external drives. I love having these plug and play sorta drives that i can put a bunch of stuff on and hand to a friend. Everything goes smoothly and then i get the drive back. As for the drive docks they feel so unsafe and sketch me out. Im wondering if anyone has seen or heard of a kit that would allow me to have say a typical WD or seagate style externall HDD that a friend could use, that i could then decide to take apart (conveniently) and put another drive in or take the drive out to use internally.

I would dig around for whatever the easiest external drive to take apart and put back together would be but my friends ive asked seem to believe that if i were to do what i intend to do with any of those types of drives on the market, that i would wind up ruining because of how precisely put back together theyd have to be.

Solution

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Thanks for the friendly response =)

Just to be clear my main issue is internal hot swaps bays not having cooling, or just having one 40mm laughable cooling fan behind it. I currently have my drives in my cooler master HAF X reversed. Mounted backwards, cables all routed very nicely, so if need be (not that i would) i could remove them all with the computer still on.

That solves my issue with hot swapping for the most part, but i would still love something more plug and play like usb.

I guess i wasnt entirely sure what i was looking for, but i think ive got it now. If there was an external HDD enclosure out there that could support just one 3.5" drive that worked as a hot swap bay sorta like my internal setup, then i could easily move drives around between external usb, desktop 1, desktop 2, and my friends setups.

I guess its quite a bit to ask for but some of those enclosures give me an idea especially considering a hot swap bay i purchased way back when (it was horrible but a great jumping off point).

Thanks again =)