Are there DDR Geforce MX's?

G

I have yet to see one, don't know if I would want one but just interested in seeing if there is such a thing and if it would be any competition to the GTS (would it make up for the 2 less pipes?)

One more day.....

Mediocrity....TO THE EXTREME!!!

G

There is one on the market - the Creative Blaster GeForce 2 MX. But before you get excited, this card has worse performance than the normal GeForce 2MX. This is because MX DDR cards have 64-bit memory busses rather than 128-bit memory busses present on the SDR version. The total 'theoretical' throughput is the same, but because DDR is not quite double the speed of SDR, it is slightly lower, hence worse performance.

I've been told it would be possible for a company to make MX's with 128-bit/DDR memory, but the price of the chips would bring them into direct competition with the GTS, so I don't think anyone has plans to do so at the moment.

That said, I have heard plans for a 64MB MX pretty soon. Plus, there's bound to be a GeForce 3 MX out sometime next year, and this will probably be cheaper and faster than the GeForce 2 GTS.

~ I'm not AMD biased, I just think their chips are better. ~

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Simply put, the DDR MX from Creative is slower than most (if not all) SDR MXs!

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

mpjesse

Splendid
Here's the deal dude- nVidia is going to release the MX200 and MX400 anytime now. The MX400 has 128bit DDR support and will have 128bit DDR SDRAM. The MX200 will have 64bit DDR support. Just wait for the MX400- it'll be out REAL soon. nVidia is trying to phase out the TnT2's and M64's by releasing these two chipsets.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, an MX400? Should compare to the GTS, in most ways. But have the additional features of the MX! I'm game-anyone want to buy a slightly used GTS?

Suicide is painless...........

G

Depends if I could get a MX400 for the same price as a gts lol

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah- the only thing crippiling the chip is the clock speed and 2 rendering pipelines instead of 4. But, the clock speed thing can easily be fixed =)

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
With the current GTS being restricted by memory, I think the MX would come close if it had equal memory-I don't think current GTS cards are capable of taking advantage of all that power with their memory restrictions.

Suicide is painless...........