[SOLVED] Are there good modern cases that do NOT have top ventilation

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Maybe it's some misunderstanding I have, but shouldn't just front-to-rear ventilation (front intakes, rear exhaust) be able to create the right flow for proper cooling, even in modern systems? With, of course, bottom ventilation for PSU air intake.

Are solid-top cases available anymore?

I've been looking casually for cases, and it seems that there aren't a whole lot that have solid tops anymore. So, I was kind of wondering if I was missing something important here about cooling.

Solution
When I had a MATX motherboard, I used a silverstone TJ-08E case.
It is a wonderful compact case.
15.16" x 8.27" x 14.72"
In particular, I needed the short depth of the case.
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=303&area=en
The top is not vented, except for the psu intake.
As small as it is, the included 180mm front fan did the job.
The inverted motherboard is very clever.
I highly recommend it if you can find one.

Lutfij

Titan
With today's heatware, every bit of venting helps. Coolermaster has the Masterbox (and the Lite variant) 5, they were just horrible work in. The top mounted PSU's aided in exhausting heat out the top/rear which is why cases of that period didn't suffer as much with todays parts and cases. You could just get something from Fractal or Be Quiet! and have the top meshed panel blocked off...like hot the ModVent's were on the older lineup of Fractal-Design's Define series.

What form factor are you looking at?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd like to have it be a little more on the compact side, but I realize that this could cause working in the case to be more difficult.

Maybe mid or mini ATX?

I used this case for my son:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diypc-trio_gt-rgb-case,6202.html

It cools quite well, though there are no top fans. Still, it's a bit larger than I'd like... I'd prefer a tower that's more space efficient.

I have two future systems: one being a budget build (will take a GPU from an existing system, though), and another that will be my Main Rig (will be after AM5 comes out).... but the main rig I'm going to pay for a higher end case, so I can have cool and quiet. For that system, the Antec P82 Silent and Antec P101 Silent are on my list... though they seem to have limited availability, and the former, when I see it, seems to be about double what this review stated. I do prefer the P82 for the smaller size as well as lower price, though the P101 does have more USB ports. I've considered some bequiet! cases, but it seems the Antec somewhat edges out bequiet! in terms of acoustics and thermals.

I use a Fractal Design RS with a glass top and side. With the system sat on the floor to the right of me it looks great looking down in through the top and side. It doesn’t have the best cooling but for my setup it doesn’t matter as temps are great anyway. My DTX 3080 usually stays around 68-69c while gaming and the cpu (3700x) a few degrees lower. This runs a 360aio as front intake, 2x140mm intakes on the bottom and a single 140mm exhaust at the rear.

When I had a MATX motherboard, I used a silverstone TJ-08E case.
It is a wonderful compact case.
15.16" x 8.27" x 14.72"
In particular, I needed the short depth of the case.
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=303&area=en
The top is not vented, except for the psu intake.
As small as it is, the included 180mm front fan did the job.
The inverted motherboard is very clever.
I highly recommend it if you can find one.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
@geofelt how is it in terms of silence? A friend of mine has an ITX case, that had a 200mm front fan, although, strangely, that fan was a little whiny, which seems completely counterintuitive.

EDIT: while I'm on this, is there an updated version of this case? If I'm reading this right, the model dates back to about 2012-ish? Honestly, at first glance, assuming the fan is silent, my only gripe might possibly be having only 2 front USB ports, though I suppose an add-on I/O panel in one of the 5.25 bays would solve that issue.

Last edited: