[SOLVED] Are there modern gpus which require 2 pcie power plugs?

Solution
Sorry. Its been a while since I built a machine, specifically 8 years. So lets say gpus like 1660 super or 2070 super.

The higher the power draw of the GPU, the more PCIe power connectors it will require.

A 1660 Super requires 1x 8 pin, whereas the 2070 super (depending on the board design) is either a 8 pin and 6 pin or 2x 8 pin PCIe power.
Sorry. Its been a while since I built a machine, specifically 8 years. So lets say gpus like 1660 super or 2070 super.

The higher the power draw of the GPU, the more PCIe power connectors it will require.

A 1660 Super requires 1x 8 pin, whereas the 2070 super (depending on the board design) is either a 8 pin and 6 pin or 2x 8 pin PCIe power.

Reactions: TechGuy75
Solution

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
This is a bad time to buy any GPU .. there are shortages in all new cards . wait a little untill the shortages are gone .

and dont buy older cards , newer Generation are alot faster .

yes, i noticed. I have to build a machine soon and I am in the part collection phase. I am looking into the gpu last. How long do you think before stock comes back to reasonable levels? When you say newer generation can you provide examples? Would the 1660 or 2070 be considered newer generation? I am seriously looking at getting a 1660 super. Thanks

This is a bad time to buy any GPU .. there are shortages in all new cards . wait a little untill the shortages are gone .

and dont buy older cards , newer Generation are alot faster .

Nothing wrong buying the older parts as long as the performance is there. Just need to look the kind of price you will pay for it. There are already several people regretting selling their otherwise still capable gpu in anticipation of newer GPU. in the end after 2 months plus they still did not get the gpu they wish for. Either because it is not in stock or end up being crazy expensive on ebay.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Nothing wrong buying the older parts as long as the performance is there. Just need to look the kind of price you will pay for it. There are already several people regretting selling their otherwise still capable gpu in anticipation of newer GPU. in the end after 2 months plus they still did not get the gpu they wish for. Either because it is not in stock or end up being crazy expensive on ebay.

TONS of wrong in buying old cards now for Price/Performance ratio.

The older generation did not get 50% cheaper .

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
yes, i noticed. I have to build a machine soon and I am in the part collection phase. I am looking into the gpu last. How long do you think before stock comes back to reasonable levels? When you say newer generation can you provide examples? Would the 1660 or 2070 be considered newer generation? I am seriously looking at getting a 1660 super. Thanks

Nvidia RTX 3060 ti , or coming RTX 3050 ...

Joseph_138

Distinguished
At this time, waiting is best. You'll get more for your money if you buy later. I would only buy a used card if I had a special need, like upgrading an older PC where a huge outlay for a new card isn't justified, or where it has special power requirements due to a proprietary PSU and no new card fits the specification. I just put a GTX 970 in my 2008 Mac Pro, for example. It's not worth investing more than I paid for the card for a machine so old, but it's still a lot more functional than what I had been using.

I agree at this point waiting is best but be mindful we don’t know how long it will take for new generation gpu’s to be in stock and then prior generation prices to readjust. Take the 3080 & 3090, they released nearly 3 months ago and still there are massive stock problems. I feel it is entirely possible things won’t start getting back to normal for at least another couple of months.

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Well, if that is the case then I might buy a very cheap gpu just so I can drive my new 4k screen for work and then buy a good gpu for gaming and such later.

i am by no means a serious gamer. I like some old and retro games.

Well, if that is the case then I might buy a very cheap gpu just so I can drive my new 4k screen for work and then buy a good gpu for gaming and such later.

i am by no means a serious gamer. I like some old and retro games.

that's also fine. just get some cheap GPU for now and let's look how things will unfold later. but personally i'd say don't expect things to get better soon with the new generation parts. the past few weeks there are already news that might suggest this expensive pricing spree will continue a bit longer than people expect it to be.