Question Are there plans for next Nvidia graphics card release for gaming ?

ravndal15

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Hi guys ,
A serious question that is straight forward . I own a 1080ti and am just waiting to see if nvidia release there next line of cards beyond the Rex 2080’s range . If so has there been any word on this ? Also if there has been word or not when would one expect the next line of cards to be released ? Thank you

NEXT-gen NVIDIA GPUs are not coming out soon. Most probably next-year. They might use AMPERE architecture.

Nvidia was supposed to reportedly debut its 7nm Ampere GPU architecture during the keynote at its GPU Technology Conference on March 18, according to TweakTown.

Ampere is looking to arrive in 2020, next year. It'll be based on 7nm fabrication NODE.

According to sources at Digitimes Samsung's 7-nm process should use EUV, making the chips easier to fab. It's not a new rumor, but the fact they have it confirmed does say a thing or two. Historically TSMC always has been NVIDIA's biggest partner, so the fact that the GPUs will be fabbed by Samsung is news as well. TSMC has been fighting on many nodes to keep up with demand though.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64340/nvidias-next-gen-ampere-gpus-arrive-2020-7nm/index.html

Last edited:

ravndal15

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
NEXT-gen NVIDIA GPUs are not coming out soon. Most probably next-year. They might use AMPERE architecture.

Nvidia was supposed to reportedly debut its 7nm Ampere GPU architecture during the keynote at its GPU Technology Conference on March 18, according to TweakTown.

Ampere is looking to arrive in 2020, next year. It'll be based on 7nm fabrication NODE.

According to sources at Digitimes Samsung's 7-nm process should use EUV, making the chips easier to fab. It's not a new rumor, but the fact they have it confirmed does say a thing or two. Historically TSMC always has been NVIDIA's biggest partner, so the fact that the GPUs will be fabbed by Samsung is news as well. TSMC has been fighting on many nodes to keep up with demand though.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64340/nvidias-next-gen-ampere-gpus-arrive-2020-7nm/index.html

Thank you for that information . I wonder what kind of performance gain we should expect from it compared to the current gen cards and if it’s worth it to buy a 2080 now or wait until next year 🤔?

It's hard to comment on the performance gain of any next-gen cards. Next-gen GPUs are always better/faster, and more efficient, though there is no hard and fast rule to this,

If you WAIT, then you are going to be in this waiting period forever. Just buy any flagship single powerful GPU now, assuming you have the budget, and you are willing to upgrade at this time of year.

Out of curiosity, what are your current PC specs ??

ravndal15

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
It's hard to comment on the performance gain of any next-gen cards. Next-gen GPUs are always better/faster, and more efficient, though there is no hard and fast rule to this,

If you WAIT, then you are going to be in this waiting period forever. Just buy any flagship single powerful GPU now, assuming you have the budget, and you are willing to upgrade at this time of year.

Out of curiosity, what are your current PC specs ??

2x GTX 1080's Ti Founders Editon Graphics cards SLI
Intel Core i7 6700K 4ghz Overclocked to 4.3 ghz
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 6 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15Q-32GTZR 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
Samsung 760 GB SSD
Razor Chroma keyboard (Goliath Mouse Pad)
Deathadder mouse
Sennheiser 7.1 dolby PC 373D Headset
34 Inch Acer Predator 100hz ips Curved
DX Racer Gaming Chair

I have only played a handful of games in sli like black ops 4 and shadow of the tomb raider . I know my 1080 ti is only a step down from the 2080 to but I figured if I sell them both second hand and add some cash to them I could get a 2080 ti . Wouldn’t be losing that much I figured 🤔?

ravndal15

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Yup, you can try selling those 2 cards, because SLI isn't worth the hassle these day. You might be much better off buying the RTX 2080 TI instead. Not many games have proper support for SLI, so there is no point in going for such a setup.

Which PSU are you using ?
Corsair hx750 watt gold
I’m going to sell them I think . Might as well while I can get a bit of decent money back for them instead of waiting and there price drops and I gain no advantage