[SOLVED] Are there videos to show the proper way to apply thermal paste between the CPU and the cooler?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I have Intel i9-9900K and Noctua NH-D15S. Are there good videos to show the proper way to apply thermal paste? There are some on the intenet but not suer which is the proper ones. Since the two components are brand new, do I need to use some kind of alcohol to clean the surfaces? If so, should I use kitchen paper or cotton stick to rub the alcohol on the surfaces?

Solution

Walgreens, RiteAid, Walmart...

Walgreens:
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-isopropyl-alcohol-91-first-aid-antiseptic/ID=prod6373258-product

The CPU cooler almost certainly comes with paste preapplied. Just use that.
If it does not, then clean and apply whatever you buy.

Cleaning the CPU face can't hurt.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks. I wonder if a * shape is even better than X. Any idea?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thank you very much. Can I get isopropyl alcohol, 90% or higher in drug store or Walmart?

If the CPU and cooler are brand new unused, is it recommended to clean them as well?

USAFRet

Titan

Walgreens, RiteAid, Walmart...

Walgreens:
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-isopropyl-alcohol-91-first-aid-antiseptic/ID=prod6373258-product

The CPU cooler almost certainly comes with paste preapplied. Just use that.
If it does not, then clean and apply whatever you buy.

Cleaning the CPU face can't hurt.

Solution

Lately I have been using the X shape.
I have tried all those application methods and I don't see any noticeable difference in temperatures.
With all of them, the thermal paste spreads all over the CPU after installing the cooler.
Just make sure not to use to much or too little thermal paste.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks. How do I determine the right amount?

everybody describes a different amount - the volume of half a green pea, some say 1 grain of uncooked rice, etc etc

finally i tried the 1/2 green pea volume, installed the cpu, used it for a bit to let the paste heat and spread on it's own, then i removed the cooler to see if i had put enough to make complete coverage on the CPU without it spilling down the sides

usually i was shy a little so the next time i'd add a small amount to what i'd put before. You'll get the handle of it

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Happy New Year to all!

When I install a NH-D15S on the i9-9900K, which direction should the front of the NH-D15S's fan and the heatsink be facing? Any photo? It seems that I can choose any of the four directions.

USAFRet

Titan

Generally, blowing from front to back, through the cooler fins.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks. Should the front of the fan be facing the GPU or away from it? Alternatively, at 90 degrees?

USAFRet

Titan

Seeing as the CPU and its cooler is above the GPU, you don't want it blowing down.
CPU fan blowing front to back.

Assuming, of course, you have a more or less standard config case.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
When I opened the plastic cap to protect the metal area of the NH-D15S, I found some dust on it. How come it got contaminated when I first opened it? It looked brand new.

In a local drug store, I found the following product which is a bit different from the one recommended above:

ROUGIER Isopropanol 99% isopropyl alcohol USP - Topical antiseptic for temporary relifef of bruises, sprains and muscle aches.

Is this ideal for cleaning the metal of the heatsink?

People at the drug store never heard of Kimwipes. Is it OK to use those cloth to clean the lens of glasses or computer screen? Is it better to go to the supermarket to get coffee filter? If so, do I need to care about any specifications for the coffee filter?

USAFRet

Titan

I've never done an A/B test, and I can't imagine it would make any difference.

The alcohol evaporates, not gets absorbed.

Lens and LCD screen could be damaged by certain solutions and materials, so you should use warm water on a damp lint free cloth or a solution specifically made for cleaning them.

Cleaning a cooler metal block or a CPU lid with 91-99% isopropyl alcohol is perfectly fine, since both the alcohol content and the water % on it evaporates long before it gets absorbed.
If it evaporates before you finish cleaning it just add some more.
I also might used a plastic knife to remove stubborn chunks of hard thermal paste before using a cloth.